[RESOLVED] Startup Repair

Thread: [RESOLVED] Startup Repair

Hybrid View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Startup Repair

I have several problems piling up, and I need to repair my Win 7. No updates installed since December (this might actually be a good thing.) .NET refuses to update, sfc gives me errors in its log.....

Is this similar to Repair Install in XP? Any do's or don'ts before I start?
    https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-perf...dows-7-2626170

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

That link that you posted is for a Startup Repair. If your computer is booting OK, that probably won't help with your issues. Below are some links for a Repair Install. Read through them carefully, as they have answers to some of your questions.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2431...tallation.html

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...r-install.html

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-repai...-reformatting/

The usual precaution before trying this procedure is to make sure that you have a backup of all of your important files and data. In addition, I recommend making an image backup also, just in case something goes wrong during the process (like a power failure, unexpected error, etc.). Then, you can restore your system to the way it was before attempting the repair.

Thanks. 1st one involves D/L all the updates, 3rd one looks like the easiest, but PCGamer!!??

I still have one excellent machine on XP Pro if necessary...;-)
    Last edited by foxy; August 30th, 2018 at 12:24 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PC Gamer and Maximum PC have combined their web sites. That is actually a Maximum PC info page.

I have an addendum to this for future searchers. Too often people who get their problem solved never post back:

I D/L a good ISO, as my first was buggy, installed it in about 15 minutes. All Windows tweaks, settings, preferences, my User folder and my wallpaper collection were kept :-D and it didn't even ask for my Product Key. That's why it installed so fast.

Then I used Dism++ to analyze my updates and see which are needed (minus the telemetry and Win10 nags.)

See new thread on a similar topic.

Thread Information