USB 2.0 vs 3.0 on my Acer computer

Thread: USB 2.0 vs 3.0 on my Acer computer

USB 2.0 vs 3.0 on my Acer computer

I have an Acer computer model M5811-EI3530A.

I have a hard drive from another computer and at the shop, they put it in an enclosure that does not seem to "connect" with it (it works on a laptop so I know it is not faulty). With some research, it seems the desktop has USB 2.0 ports and not 3.0. The enclosure model requires USB 3.0 ( 5 Gbit/s) port oe USB 2.0 port (480Mbps).

I can see, in the specs that my desktop has 10 USB 2.0 but there is no mention of the "speed". I only know that the enclosure does not turn on when I plug it in my desktop. It is a StarTech.com 2.5" USB 3.0 to SATA III HDD Enclosure with UASP Support.

Is there something that can be done to make them compatible or do I have to find a different enclosure for that extra HD?

Was your other computer a laptop? It's possible that the USB ports on your old computer aren't putting out enough power for the enclosure. Did your enclosure come with an AC adapter? If not, you could get a powered USB 3.0 hub, and see if that works.

Something like this:
    https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapt...Hub~ST4300USB3

Yes, I was replacing my old (antique) Dell precision by a newer laptop and since it came with a hard drive and the shop could simply move my old HD to the new computer, I asked to keep the "new" HD, which they put in an enclosure for me to use separately. I know it works on the newer laptop, but I want to use it on my desktop for extra storage.

So, that device you mention would make a "bridge" between my current USB 2.0 and the enclosure that requires USB 3.0?
    Would there be an enclosure that could work directly with a USB 2.0?

Would there be an enclosure that could work directly with a USB 2.0?
    If it was a powered enclosure, then it would work. Some enclosures have 2 USB plugs for extra power. My best guess is that the USB 2.0 ports don't have enough power for the hard drive.
    USB 2.0 puts out 500mA per port. USB 3.0 puts out 900mA.

So, that device you mention would make a "bridge" between my current USB 2.0 and the enclosure that requires USB 3.0?
    I guess you could say that. You'd plug the enclosure into the USB hub, and then the hub into the USB 2.0 port. Again, it would need to be a POWERED USB hub.

Thanks for the clarification.

Thread Information