Skype sign-in

Thread: Skype sign-in

Skype sign-in

What ho one and all,

Not sure if my question is this forum or Internet related, but it is regarding Skype.

I hardly ever use Skype, but did so about one month ago. XP Pro, signed-in, no problems and had a conversation.

Just now, checking if I have a friend's Skype name in the list, and after entering my UserName and Password, am told that a/ one of them is incorrect and to either correct it or update, b/ I need JavaScript enabled.

I don't have an MS account, only a Skype account. Checked my Firefox plug-ins, and Java is present. My only FF /Java options are 'Ask to Activate' or 'Never.' I can only assume that Skype have up-graded to 'enhance my user experience' with the result the my user experience is now zero.

I have the latest version of Skype installed and just found a JavaScript Tester web site that tells me that JS is working within my version of FF.. I also rebooted to no avail.

How do I get Skype back again?

Thanks and toodle pip
    Last edited by Rekusu; August 5th, 2018 at 03:18 PM.

Ok, still no luck with Skype / Java Script. My next idea is to uninstall and reinstall, but ................

I would like to save my contacts and although it is easy if Skype is running, as I am unable to actually sing-in, it will not run. Where is the Skype 'contacts' file stored and I will save that?

According to Skype the contacts list is stored on their own servers. You can access them after you sign in which means if the reinstall fixes the problem then they'll be there. Try installing over top of itself first before you uninstall Skype.

What I would do first though is, if you can, sign into skype on another computer and manually save the contacts list on a thumb drive for added backup options.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1...indows-desktop

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Did you try the FORGOT MY PASSWORD option?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Of course. All I get is a blank Skype screen with an MS logo. I also don't receive and automatic e-mail. I have tried to log-in using IE8, but again, nothing. Whatever I do, the only message I receive is the 'We are unable to log you in' blah, blah, blah, JavaScript being blocked or use another browser.

At the moment, all roads are a dead end! Hence the thought of reinstalling.

Editing this post. I have just reinstalled, and exactly the same.

Here is a thought. Since last using Skype, my e-mail address has changed, but the old one is still working. Don't know why that should make a difference and if I cannot log-on, then how do I alter the e-mail address?
    Last edited by Rekusu; August 6th, 2018 at 03:46 PM.

Try asking directly at the Skype help forum.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...d=false&page=1

Thanks for the link. Have not sent a message but reading the Skype forum, seems there is some dissatisfaction regarding the new update in July, which would probably explain my issues (even with XP, etc.)

However, i have managed to reinstall over my existing version but probably have a new account, which just confuses the matter. But the new install did not import automatically, my Contacts, so that is now empty. Search My Account, I cannot see any evidence of the Skype server ever having saved my contacts. Now I have to ask each contact to re-invite me!

Which does bring me back to a question above, where within C: is the Skype / Contact file stored? I have the complete Skype / D&S folder saved, but assume that it is not as simple as copying that to the new installation?

So much for up-grading my user experience!

where within C: is the Skype / Contact file stored?
    As I said above it's stored on Skype's own servers not your computer.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1...indows-desktop

Couldn't make any progress so reinstalled Skype and had to ask the few contacts to invite me.

Sort of up and running again, but it is not how it used to be.

The old version of Skype will be discontinued:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...c-in-november/

Thread Information