Computer won't start after normal shutdown

Thread: Computer won't start after normal shutdown

Computer won't start after normal shutdown

I never ever ever turn off my computer. I have an FTP server running on one of my virtual machines on the home computer. I don't know why (oh why) I decided to shut it down before leaving for a 2-week vaca overseas. This is my personal computer I built a year.5 ago. I have never had a single issue since I built it. It shut down perfectly fine. I come home late last night and I cannot turn it back on by pushing the power switch on. There is no sign of life. I have had a couple PSU failures over the last two decades and this doesn't sound like one. I am back at work this morning so I haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet but I am trying to research and think what it could be. Any ideas?

It definitely sounds like a power supply failure. Do you have a spare power supply available? A multimeter or a power supply tester would also be useful. If you are lucky, the PSU is the only component that has failed.

I assume that you have checked to make sure that a breaker hasn't tripped or a surge suppressor / power strip has not failed during your absence.

https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Power-Sup.../dp/B005UZHB6G

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    It definitely sounds like a power supply failure. Do you have a spare power supply available? A multimeter or a power supply tester would also be useful. If you are lucky, the PSU is the only component that has failed.

I assume that you have checked to make sure that a breaker hasn't tripped or a surge suppressor / power strip has not failed during your absence.

https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Power-Sup.../dp/B005UZHB6G
    Thanks for your response. Its not the breaker or the surge protector or the power cable. There are other things running off that surge protector and they are running just fine. I have tried plugging the computer to another wall outlet and have tried a different power cable. Other than that, I haven't done muhc because like I said, I just came back and it was late last night. I am trying to figure out what components should I buy before I go back home from work later in the evening. I am considering a new PSU and a CMOS battery.

Power supply calculator (one of many):

http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Power supply calculator (one of many):

http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/
    Not too sure if this is a voltage issue. If it was, there would be some visible life in this thing, a failed attemp to boot, beeps, flashing lights, etc.

When I built my computer 1.5 years ago, I used the PSU from my older build. The link to the PSU I have is below - old but has been gold:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817190007

It sounds like a no voltage issue. It is probably new PSU time. The calculator link was just in case you needed to calculate wattage in case you have upgraded components, like video card, drives, etc.

No recent upgrades whatsoever. The computer has run strong since I built it. I hope its the PSU.

Replaced my dead PSU with this one and I am back in business:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-2.../dp/B0754S3TXS

Bought it from Fry's and they price matched it.

Thanks for all the help

That should last you for a while. Good to hear there was nothing else wrong with the system.

Quote Originally Posted by masif2001 View Post
    I never ever ever turn off my computer. I have an FTP server running on one of my virtual machines on the home computer. I don't know why (oh why) I decided to shut it down before leaving for a 2-week vaca overseas. This is my personal computer I built a year.5 ago. I have never had a single issue since I built it. It shut down perfectly fine. I come home late last night and I cannot turn it back on by pushing the power switch on. There is no sign of life. I have had a couple PSU failures over the last two decades and this doesn't sound like one. I am back at work this morning so I haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet but I am trying to research and think what it could be. Any ideas?
    answer

The power on issues you describe occur before the OS starts loading. This would be a hardware issue not an OS issue. If it gets past POST and hangs while Windows is loading. This can be a Windows issue or hardware issue.

First get a copy of your motherboards manual: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/H...

Try to clear the CMOS to reset the BIOS. See if that clears the issue. Manual p. 1-29 (Be sure you turn off and disconnect power first!)

Try getting the computer to POST barebones. Just the CPU (and heatsink obviously), one RAM module and monitor plugged in. All other peripherals, storage devices and expansion cards removed. If it will POST. Turn off and add another RAM module. Check again.

Start adding other devices one at a time. See if any result in a no POST situation after shutdown and power on.

Flash the motherboard with the latest BIOS. There could be a bug in the BIOS code this clears up. BIOS updating is not without its risks. If things can get working fine again without flashing. You can avoid the. The biggest risk is a power outage in the middle of a BIOS flashing.
    Standard BIOS Updating via EZ Flash P. 3-57
    Note: For placing BIOS files on flash drive. Do a clean format of Flash drive. The filesystem should be FAT32. Download and unpack BIOS files. Copy them to Flash drive.
    USB BIOS Flashback if standard won’t work. Remove RAM, CPU and all other devices before starting. P. 2-11. Then start to run through barebones procedures as described above.

Assuming you can get it to boot again after the above. But can’t cause the issue to occur regularly.
    Run Windows Memory Diagnostic to check for faulty RAM.
    Run OCCT to stress test the CPU and Unigine Superposition to stress test the GPU.
    Assuming you get the computer to boot. But the shutdown problem occurs only after the computer has warmed up. Then I would perform the stress tests and shutdown. Then perform the barebones procedure while everything is warmed up. Hopefully, this will catch the culprit.

If you want to check if it is a Windows issue. Make a bootable Ubuntu USB drive. Boot off it. Use it for a while, screwing around online. Then shutdown. See if your PC will power up.

Thread Information