My computer continues to reboot and restart automatically
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My computer continues to reboot and restart automatically

My computer continues to reboot and restart automatically

For some reason, it seems when I'm working in Google Chrome the computer restarts on its own. Thought I solved the problem by unchecking "automatically restart" in control panel, but not so. Working in IE/Edge to see if this makes a difference, although I prefer Chrome. (Maybe Win 10 doesn't like Chrome?)

Are you getting any Blue Screen error messages? Does BlueScreenView show anything?

Check Event Viewer to see if there is anything in the logs that might be helpful.

Is your version of Chrome up-to-date?

What version and build number of Windows 10 do you have?

No blue screen. I'll be working in Chrome and all of a sudden the screen goes black and the HP symbol starts to twirl and next thing I'm at the front screen to signon. I'm testing it to see if it happens when I'm in IE/Edge.

Check to see if this happens in other programs: IE, Edge, Firefox, Word, Excel, etc.

Check Event Viewer to see if there is anything in the logs that might be helpful.

What version and build number of Windows 10 do you have?

You might also see if there is a BIOS update for that computer available from the manufacturer's web site.

Check the system temperatures using something like SpeedFan.

10.0.16299 Bld 16299
    X64-based PC
    Brand new PC, one week new.

That is the current version.

With a brand new computer, auto-reboots are likely being caused by a hardware issue.

You might also see if there is a BIOS update for that computer available from the manufacturer's web site.

Check the system temperatures using something like SpeedFan, or see if the system BIOS shows temperatures.

oops while I was replying the computer rebooted. Looked at the event log, don't know what I'm looking for. But I took a screen shot. screenshot jpg.jpg

I'm working In IE I just find this browser clunky and slow. The alternative is Chrome, which causes it's own set of problems.
    Last edited by Sal_gal; August 1st, 2018 at 07:09 PM.

That just shows the available log files. Check the actual events in the Hardware Events and Application logs.

Links:

https://www.howtogeek.com/school/usi...a-pro/lesson3/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rosoft-windows

https://www.pcmag.com/news/353803/ho...a-event-viewer

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/basi...viewer-windows

IE clunky and slow? Like Chrome is fast?

Did you check the PC components temps in the BIOS or with SpeedFann?

www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Hardware events is empty.

No Applications events with red or yellow markings?

Temps?

No,none.
    I'm going to download Firefox and see if that is better to use. There is definitely something going on between Windows 10 and Chrome. When I'm in IE/Edge I don't get the restarts, but IE/EDGE is the worst slowest browser to use.

Here's the system startup screen. It looks like everything is as it should be. I'm changing to FF and see if anything happens.
    screenshot2.JPG
    Last edited by Sal_gal; August 1st, 2018 at 09:37 PM.

Update: Using Firefox. One hour in and no restart. FF is really smoothe so far. No crashing, no stalling, pretty fast.

That isn't a startup screen, just the settings for the crash dumps, but they look to be OK.

Note: IE (Internet Explorer) and Edge are NOT the same thing. Windows 10 defaults to Edge, which is junk. Internet Explorer is unlikely to crash anywhere near as much as Chrome does, but you have to locate it and make a desktop icon for it if you want to use it. Even then, Windows 10 will still default to Edge for some things.

You could try uninstalling and then re-downloading and re-installing Chrome to see if that helps.

You still haven't posted the system temperatures. Chrome uses more system resources, so if the temps are close to being too high, Chrome could push them over the top and cause a thermal shutdown while a different browser might not. Then again, the temps may be fine, but you don't want to find out they aren't after the warranty expires.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    That isn't a startup screen, just the settings for the crash dumps, but they look to be OK.

Note: IE (Internet Explorer) and Edge are NOT the same thing. Windows 10 defaults to Edge, which is junk. Internet Explorer is unlikely to crash anywhere near as much as Chrome does, but you have to locate it and make a desktop icon for it if you want to use it. Even then, Windows 10 will still default to Edge for some things.

You could try uninstalling and then re-downloading and re-installing Chrome to see if that helps.

You still haven't posted the system temperatures. Chrome uses more system resources, so if the temps are close to being too high, Chrome could push them over the top and cause a thermal shutdown while a different browser might not. Then again, the temps may be fine, but you don't want to find out they aren't after the warranty expires.
    I am dumping Chrome. Using FF to see if the problem persists. So far FF is very quick, much quicker than Edge & Chrome and very smoothe. If you don't hear from me in the next 2 days you'll know it's working.

Thread Information