I have the Asus RT-N56U router that I have been using for quite some time. The power (electricity) in my area when out for several hours the other night. After the power was restored, I had to reset the router by pressing the tiny button on back of router because I couldn't regain my internet connection. After resetting my router, I had internet connection again. Immediately after doing this, I noticed that it would take a long time to access websites.

I ran several speed tests using speedtest.net and every time my download speed was 1.xx Mpbs. My upload speed was fine. Next troubleshoot I did was bypass the router and connected my modem directly into my laptop to see what speeds I received. My download speeds just having my modem connected was 74.xx Mpbs. I contacted Asus tech support yesterday and the tech rep made me change a few settings after logging into router.asus.com. I would still receive the same donwload speed results after running a speed test after each change the tech rep made me change. After a few changes, he was at a loss and said he was going to escalate my issue to a supervisor and that I would receive a response from the supervisor after he reviewed my issue. I received an e-mail from the supervisor with the changes he stated I should change in my settings. I still receive the same download speed (1.xx Mpbs) after the changes. Below is a copy of them. I didn't have any issues before my electricity went out and all I did after it was restored was reset my router. Does anyone know how I can regain my download speeds I had prior to my power outage?

We recommend the following troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue:

Step 1) Please ensure the router firmware is at the latest version. (Version 3.0.0.4.380.7378).

Step 2) Please change the channel and bandwidth of the 2.4ghz network to 20/40 or 20Mhz and the control channel to either 1, 6, or 11

Step 2 b) Please change the channel and bandwidth of the 5ghz network to 40mhz

Step 3) Please try changing the wireless mode of the 5ghz to N/AC mixed and control channel to 44, 36, 149

Step 4) Enable the Quality of Service on the router (QOS)