[Partially RESOLVED] Reliable free password manager?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Partially RESOLVED] Reliable free password manager?

Resolved [Partially RESOLVED] Reliable free password manager?

Dashlane has been using huge amounts of memory, but the worst part is that it makes my Firefox keep sucking up more and more memory the longer it runs, until my computer locks up. LastPass has become garbage. Does anyone know a reliable PW manager?

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

My choice would be KeePass.

Can I import all my data?

I was here some time ago saying my RAM in FF kept growing the longer I kept the machine on. When it got to 2 or 3GB, everything locked up. It was Dashlane, and I'm verifying it for posterity

::runs off to Keepass site::

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should be able to export from your current password managers and then import into KeePass.

Many thanks. Imported from Dashlane CSV file

To avoid my having to join another forum, do you know offhand how to make the passwords show in the list, rather than asterisks.? I can't find it in their wiki.
    Last edited by foxy; July 24th, 2018 at 06:22 PM.

NVM. I changed one and they all changed. Thanks, jdc.

It's like magic, 239 Passwords. But after 3 other PW managers, I'll be a little skeptical for a while.

Magic has stopped. Not logging me in automatically, although Auto-type is checked. There's going to be a learning curve here I'm not getting any work done tonight. Hotkey doesn't work, there's no command in the context menu. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.
    Last edited by foxy; July 24th, 2018 at 09:33 PM.

Set up the test page. CTL+ALT+A still doesn't work. Do you use Keepass?

I'll have to join their forum, but thanks anyway for your time.

The first link in post #10 may be the key. For setting up Auto-Type, you need to enter some data. The Title of the page is key - it must be entered exactly as it appears on the Windows title bar for the window. That means the characters and spaces must be exact, and include anything that Windows or the program (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc.) may add. You may need some help with this. NirSoft has a program that will get the names of all open windows.

www.nirsoft.net/utils/winlister.html

There are other ways also:

https://www.vexasoft.com/pages/get-window

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...an-application

https://it.toolbox.com/question/how-...running-060104

I use KeePass, but I do not use Auto-Type.

Oh, my titles don't match the titlebar because in the other 2 programs, they looked only at the URL. I'm not typing in all those 230 titlebars with all the punctuation and spacing.

If have to find the entry, then tell it to copy the ID, then the PW, I can just use LastPass or a Notepad text. This doesn't work for me.
    Last edited by foxy; July 25th, 2018 at 02:04 PM.

If you are using Firefox, there is an add-in called KeeFox that will do the auto-logins.

For other browsers or programs, you should still not need to type anything if you use the NirSoft program or something similar to get the window names. You just copy from that and paste the information into the setup dialog.

AMO is giving me 644 extensions for search "keefox," not alphabetized. This is the new, improved AMO. I'll try Nirsoft. I also use Chrome w/PW mager for work.

Thread Information