[Partially RESOLVED] Reliable free password manager? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Partially RESOLVED] Reliable free password manager?

Great minds...

Did some digging at Keepass and their forums. I think you can use one of these for URL ID rather than Titlebar ID.

Now I can get back to work.

But first, a story: I have a customer whose husband passed on last year, and she's never touched a computer. Never, ever, and she's 80. She has his Win 7 laptop and she wanted to learn. I used to do tutoring and troubleshooting, but I wisely decided not to, and she can't afford me anyway. My computer club has no workshops for total newbies and is no longer teaching Win 7. So she's taking workshops at the library. The instructor is a volunteer, and doesn't know anything, little things like:

She needs to learn how to use a mouse.
    She has no concept of file, folder, desktop, website, virus, password, program, internet, etc
    She needs a wireless network on her router to receive the internet. It must be set up. Having an email address isn't enough.
    She needs a PW to access that network. We don't have her husband's PW. Instructor gave her a new PW on paper , but didn't enter it into her network.
    She needs her A-V program updated.
    She's missing a year's worth of Windows Updates.
    shall I go on?

Listening to what she's not learned from him is raising my formerly healthy blood pressure.
    Last edited by foxy; July 26th, 2018 at 11:48 AM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Thanks for the update.

Technology can be a pain as well as a benefit.

I was a happier person before I got my first computer.

It's resolve d that I have the program, but I need someone who uses Autotype to analyze my problem. I can't get it to work.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can try testing it on my system. I don't currently use it. No guarantees. If I get usable results, I'll post an update.

It's OK, let someone else do it. I don't want you to mess up your settings.

If someone else wants to tackle it, here's the issue. Folks at the KP forum can't figure it out.

I've been working with the forum at KeePass because I can't get it to work properly. I can't install KeeFox on FF 52.9ESR, which I'm holding onto because I'm not planning on giving up my other extensions. All the plugins have me confused, and I think many of the other users understand coding of whatever language KP is written in.

1--hotkey CTL+ALT+A doesn't auto-type.

2--Keeform is also supposed to do this from the context menu, but it does only half the time, and gives me error messages when it doesn't Attachment 14801
    Last edited by foxy; August 2nd, 2018 at 04:03 PM.

Maybe it's just the lack of KeeFox. If I want KP to work only partially, I can stick with Dashlane.

Should I start this in a new thread, since the original query was resolved?
    Last edited by foxy; August 2nd, 2018 at 04:17 PM.

Just leave the autocomplete issue in this thread for now.

Some info on your error message:

KeeForm could not connect to browser ...

KeeForm communicates by default with ip address 127.0.0.1 and port 8484. Make sure that a firewall doesn't block that ip and port. You can change that if needed by running the installer again, but don't forget to set the same ip/port in the KeeForm browser extension as well.
    https://keeform.org/keepass/keeform-faq

Testing should not mess up any of my settings.

I could not find anything that says KeeFox requires a later version of FireFox. I assume that you have seen these pages:

https://www.kee.pm/

https://www.guidingtech.com/51833/ke...firefox-guide/

What happens when you try to install KeeFox? If you get an error message, post a screen capture of it.

I'm using the Win firewall, and I can't figure out how to do settings. There are dozens of lines of code.

Attachment 14803

This program is overly-complicated. I might just chuck it and use something else. I've spent many hours just trying to figure it out, and I'm not making any money

I just tried AutoType using KeePass version 2.37 and FireFox ESR 52.8.0 32-Bit, no KeeFox required, and it worked perfectly.

Procedure:

Open the web page where you need to login, place the cursor in the UserName field, and with KeePass open, right-click on the appropriate entry and select Perform AutoType (Control-V). KeePass sends the User ID, a Tab, the password, and Enter (the key sequence can be customized if needed).

Wrong. In WebAutotype, if set up correctly, and if you've done HttpOptions, you place the cursor in "username," press ctl+alt+A, the program finds the right URL and fills it in, then tabs and fills in PW. No need to rt-click on the entry myself. which is bothersome with close to 250 entries. I don't have to decide if Mozillazine forums is alphabetized as Mozillazine or forums.mozillazine.com

That's what's not working.

From the forum :
    "Make sure the cursor is in the 'User name:' field. Then, while the browser still has the focus, press the global auto-type hot key (The default hot key is Ctrl+Alt+A. If you have changed the hot key, press the hot key that is currently defined)."

Thanks. I'm going to drop this for now
    Last edited by foxy; August 3rd, 2018 at 11:40 AM.

Someone at the KP Forum found an older Keefox to install. KP still works only partially, sometimes automatically, sometimes context menu, sometimes not at all, CTL+ALT+A still doesn't work. If I want to do copy+paste 1/3 of the time, I can use Dashlane.

Uninstalling, and thanks for your time.

I've gone with Sticky Passwords, much easier to configure although not OpenSource.

Thread Information