Hard Drive Won't Initialize ??

Thread: Hard Drive Won't Initialize ??

Hard Drive Won't Initialize ??

I have this 500gb Seagate SATA hard drive that I am unable to initialize. it shows up in disk management as: not initialized & show a small circle with a red arrow pointed downward. When I try to initialize it, the virtual disk manager says: Device not ready. I tried Diskpart & did a clean on it but still wont work. Did a lot of searching on the web to no avail. Any suggestions or will I nee to chuck it ? Thanks........................
    Where there's a will, there's a way

The first thing I would do is run Seatools on it. I would have done that before running any other tools like Diskpart.

I prefer to run it off of UBCD5. But if that's not your boot drive, you could run the Windows version.
    https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...s-how-use.html

Thanks Midknyte, I'll give that a shot. Funny, I never thought of that. Guess the age is getting to me...Don't have time tonight, but will try tomorrow.......................

I downloaded & installed SeaTools for windows. However, it does not see the drive. I have the drive in a cradle powered by USB. I use these cradles all the time for accessing, formatting, etc. Disk management sees it but not the tool. When I first apply power to the drive, I get a message stating that I need to format it. When trying, I get another message saying windows cant format & to check if connected properly & to make sure it is not read-only, etc.

Seatools should be able to see drives in a USB enclosure. Seatools will even see non-Seagate drives. It sure sounds like the drive is bad. You could try another USB enclosure or even hooking the drive up to a SATA port on the motherboard.

It's futile to mess with other fixes if you can't verify that the hardware is good.

yes, you're right about the futile process. I'll fuss with it a bit longer then trash it. Thanks for the help, anyway. You win some, & lose some. The name of the game.lol

Thread Information