Repair for vintage floppy, Zip and optical drives?

Thread: Repair for vintage floppy, Zip and optical drives?

recently returned to the Southern part of Heaven after being exiled in the nation of Texas

Question Repair for vintage floppy, Zip and optical drives?

I refurbish vintage systems (mostly Win98/2K/XP), usually for industrial customers whose drive needs are simple. I thought I'd post in case anyone with experience with these older drivers might be able to help me out.

Floppy drives:
    I have a handful that seem to function but don't read disks. Is there a 'usual' fix that can be done?

Zip drives:
    I've never been asked for a working drive but many of the systems come with one pre-installed. I have no use for them. Does anyone refurbish these (or know someone who does)?

Optical drives:
    Most of these customers need a simple read-only CD drive. I have a couple dozen that either aren't recognized in BIOS or won't read a disc. In most cases, I've tried troubleshooting by trying each of them in multiple machines and with multiple discs. Are there fixes I can try for either - or both - of these issues?
    JEFF ô¿ô

Once upon a time, there were "head" cleaning kits for all three drive types.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Have you tried Youtube? I just found a repair demo for my 32-year-old stereo system.
    It doesn't pay to repair floppy drives and CD drives. I'll bet there's someone on Ebay or some used parts site selling functional ones for a pittance.

Oops, this is a month old.
    Last edited by foxy; July 3rd, 2018 at 11:53 AM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Thread Information