[RESOLVED] Can't update Chrome

Thread: [RESOLVED] Can't update Chrome

Resolved [RESOLVED] Can't update Chrome

Machine in my sig--
    I think this is a Win problem , not a Chrome one. If I'm wrong, please move it.

I use Chrome for work, mostly one website. I tried updating from 63 to 67. I'm not sure if I'm recounting this in the right order.

1--I started at Chrome's D/L page, then tied installing 67.
    Error:An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 1: 0x80004005).
    Version 63.0.3239.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)

2--I went back I tried right-clicking as Admin. Didn't work

3--I D/L MS's fixit tool: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...led-or-removed. No good

4--Chrome help suggested I use the offline installer, ChromeStandaloneSetup. It reinstalls v.63 w the error message on the About page:
    An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 1: 0x80004005).
    Version 63.0.3239.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Somewhere in the sequence I had "Failed to cache the downloaded installer Error )x8007000

5--My Program files now look like this: Attachment 14753

Unlike Firefox, where the new version just modifies the old one, I think I should uninstall 63 then install 67. I have Revo.

6--HOWEVER

I use this just for work, and I have scads of Tampermonkey and other scripts with loads of settings and tweaks. I'm not sure where Chrome keeps its profiles. If there's any chance of losing my scripts, I'm not updating.
    Last edited by foxy; June 18th, 2018 at 03:00 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

I am not sure what the image you attached is actually supposed to be showing. Where is Chrome installed currently? Is it under Program Files or LocalAppData?

Have you tried getting Chrome to update itself by going to the menu, and clicking Help, About Google Chrome?

Possibly useful links:

https://productforums.google.com/for...me/pDrzKx4ph2g

https://community.spiceworks.com/top...e-update-error

Script backup:

Script backup links

Sorry, not in Program Files. It shows 2 Chromes in Users/myname/AppData/Local/ So there are 2 profiles with just one program?
    There is no folder in Program Files.

The 2 posts you cited are very old and for a different error message. I came here because I already checked to Chrome Help site and couldn't get their answers to work

The Help>About page is a strange place for an error message, but there it is.
    "An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 1: 0x80004005).
    Version 63.0.3239.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)"

I'm not very familiar with Chrome. Will backing up my profile also backup the nuances of my scripts? The extensions directory in the folder I showed you has just one file dated last December.

I would also like to reinstall in Program Files. Their arrangement of files doesn't click with my fussbudget mind.
    Last edited by foxy; June 18th, 2018 at 04:43 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From all of the information I have seen, Google seems to have changed the installation location for Chrome from where it is on your system back to Program Files (where it should always have been). This may be what is causing your issue, although it is hard to tell, since Google does not really offer any support for their software.

I would suggest that to fix this, you may need to backup any Chrome extensions that you are using, as well as your scripts, uninstall Chrome, then download and install the latest version of Chrome. There are no guarantees that this will work, of course. You may want to take the usual precaution of making an image backup of your system, just in case some disaster occurs.

As with Chrome itself, Tampermonkey has changed how and where it stores the scripts. If you backup all of your Chrome profiles data, you MAY be able to restore them, however, again, there is no guarantee. I did not see any recent information updates on this issue, but the links below may be useful:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...the-filesystem

https://superuser.com/questions/1149...ey-userscripts

OK. I had been in the wrong place for the extensions because their filing system is weird. There are 14 extension folders. Chrome has updated automatically a few times, and my profile was unaffected.

Google does have support, and I've already been there.
    https://www.google.com/chrome/browse...top/index.html

Your post was written in 2012, but it gives this as the profile folder:
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
    So Default folder is my total profile, or is spread around in other places? You have no idea how I hate this program.

Why do I have a profile for each version, if 67 was not installed? Which one should I back up?

Will backup and take image and get back to you with the results.

So Default folder is my total profile, or is spread around in other places?
    Probably, but not guaranteed. I have not investigated.

You have no idea how I hate this program.
    Yes, I do. I hate it as well, probably even more than you do. It is a support nightmare. While they may have a "support" site, if that actually had any answers on it, you would expect Google's search engine to be able to find them. Since it doesn't return any results, there doesn't seem to be any useful information there.

Why do I have a profile for each version, if 67 was not installed?
    That is a question only Google's inscrutable programmers could answer, maybe, if they even know.

Which one should I back up?
    As usual, all of them, just in case.

Thanks for your patience. I'm not so finicky about profiles I don't use for work.

Would you believe the 2 profiles contain 4,912 files?

OK, uninstalled and installed 67. Where do I put the 2 profile copies?

Would you believe the 2 profiles contain 4,912 files?
    Wait until Chrome version 127. There will probably be 10 times as many.

Possibly useful links for the Chrome profile files location:

https://www.howtogeek.com/255653/how...mac-and-linux/

https://sessionbuddy.com/chrome-profile-location/

I would try restoring ONE set of profile files first, probably the most recent ones. If that works and you get everything back, there may be no need to mess with the second set.

As always, should any of your files be damaged or destroyed, make sure you have a good backup. Google will disavow any knowledge of your actions.

I'll probably die before v. 127. I'm 72. Or I won't be doing this work any more. Maybe we'll get a few raises in Social Security

Put 7 in, installed without a hitch, and copied entire User Data profile But exe is still not in Prog Files, but same location. Starting now, Chrome profile gets backed up every night along with FF and TB. I know it's careless, but I never thought of it before.

How do you know what's in 127? And MS is just as bad as Google. They publish faulty OS's before they're perfected, then they send years of updates, but the updates often don't install, then they fix or pull the updates, fix them and send them out again. After a few years, they stop updating, publish a new OS, then start the cycle again. We've been been living with this for 25 years. If my friend had bought a Mac in 1995 instead of PC, I would have learned Mac.

Goodbye and thanks, I have work to do.
    Last edited by foxy; June 19th, 2018 at 06:42 PM.

Chrome was first released in 2008, so if the continue with the current number of releases per year, version 127 would arrive around 2028. Of course, if they accelerate the number of updates per year (and resulting bug fixes), 127 could arrive a lot sooner. I have no idea what will be in version 127, or even if Chrome will still exist then, but software bloat has been going on since computers were invented. The first computer I used had 4K of magnetic core memory, and that held the operating system, programming language, programs, and data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm4Rll9axkQ

Note: Apple is starting to do the same thing with their software. The users are now the beta testers.

In case someone with an easier question needs their support:
    https://support.google.com/chrome/?hl=en#topic=7438008
    There are also forums, but I already belong to about 20 forums.

Thread Information