INSTALL WIN 98

Thread: INSTALL WIN 98

INSTALL WIN 98

I have a Lenovo 10.1 laptop type 4187. I put win 7 prof on it 32 bit. with 2.5 gb of ram. It is so slow I am thinking of changing it to win 98se.
    The computer has 2 gb ram in one slot and 1/2 gb ram soldered to the mother board. If I remove the 2 gb of ram it will have 1/2 Gb ram left. Is
    that enough to run Win 98 or should I leave 2.5 Gb of ram in the computer? How do I remove win 7 Prof. I put the win 98 install disc in thinking
    it would format the hard drive but that did not work. How can I remove win 7 and format the hard drive for win 98. I will not be online with this
    computer but just use it run old programs.

Jerry

You may want to read through the following link to see what potential issues you may have when trying this:

http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/117

A better idea might be to run Windows 98 as a Virtual Machine.

Lenovo specs:

https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo...-series/specs/

That Lenovo has an 80 GB 5400 rpm hard drive. Replacing it with an SSD might cure the slowness.

That
    Intel Atom N270 / 1.6 GHz is slow.

Win 98 would run on 512 MB or ram but 386 MB was faster.
    Switching from the 80 GB 5400 rpm hard drive to a SSD should cut a couple minutes off of bootup.

Win 98 install had no way of formating or partitioning a hdd. We had to use a bootfloppy and used fdisk to do that.

I have a Dell Mini 9 with similar specs, except that I have a 64 GB SSD in it and 2 GB of RAM. It is running Windows 10 Enterprise at a decent speed. It can also run Windows 7 at a decent speed as well. It would be much slower with a 5400 RPM hard drive though.

Thread Information