Networking with Win98

Thread: Networking with Win98

recently returned to the Southern part of Heaven after being exiled in the nation of Texas

Question Networking with Win98

I refurbish vintage computers - mostly Win98/2K/XP. I'd estimate that better than 95% of the computers I sell are to people who use them in an industrial setting, generally as a stand-alone PC running a piece of equipment. I can't remember anyone that's used one either for connecting to the internet or networking between computers.

I recently configured a tower for someone who's trying to get it to network using more modern components. He said he thought there was a patch from Microsoft. I told him that, since all of these that I've been preparing for people have been solo units, any tweaks that I knew about configuring Win98 when it was current have, I'm afraid, been lost to the mists of time.

I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had any memories...
    JEFF ô¿ô

What sort of "more modern components" does he want to use. He would need Windows 98 drivers for whatever network hardware is in the computer. For vintage equipment, those may still be available.

recently returned to the Southern part of Heaven after being exiled in the nation of Texas
    All the drivers are there. When I ship one of these systems (mostly Dells), I load the OS and the drivers from the OEM disks. Here's his message:

"The 1st unit you sent us is working well, aside from the networking. The internet is okay, it just however cannot communicate with modern networks. Any ideas on how to correct this? We believe there was patch from Microsoft at one point."

I don't know if he means that it works OK on the internet or that's it's OK that it doesn't work. I've replied with the riskiness of using an old OS like 98 online. But, as far as the onboard NIC, the Win98 drivers were loaded. But, I have no experience with using a 98 machine to network "with modern networks."
    JEFF ô¿ô

A Windows 98 PC will not work with IPv6 networks, so if they are using IPv6 then they are out of luck. If they are using IPv4 then it should work. You need to find out what exactly they mean by "modern networks". What exactly are they trying to communicate with?

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    A Windows 98 PC will not work with IPv6 networks, so if they are using IPv6 then they are out of luck.
    Thanks. I'll pass that along and see if I can get additional info.
    JEFF ô¿ô

Thread Information