Location is Not Available

Thread: Location is Not Available

Location is Not Available

Hey guys, I'm back.

My wife notified me that her PC was doing something weird. I went to look and it appeared that Windows was doing an update. It continued for awhile an then my log-in screen came up. I logged in and as Windows does, it continued what looked like an update for several more minutes. Then this appeared:

"C:\Windows\System32\Config\Systemprofile\desktop is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc inserted and then try again."

When I click OK sometimes I get "sihost unknown hard error".

I basically have a blank screen with the Windows Icon in the lower left of the window. However, it does nothing when clicked. On the right lower side I have the volume icon, Power icon and internet all of which do nothing. If I play with things I can sometimes get into the troubleshooting, command prompt, reset, etc. In the Command Prompt it comes up as X:/windows/system. When I look for a directory of C: it indicates I have no such drive. I can get to the D: drive which is just the recovery drive, The USB system recovery drive is not working and it doesn't recognize the external hard drive with the complete backup on it.

I said all that to tell you I don't care as long as I can get the pictures off the drive. After that I'll just purchase a new PC as this has seen the repair shop once too often already.

Any advice would be appreciated.

If you can get into the BIOS setup, check there to see what hard drives the system recognizes. Also check what drive(s) the computer is set to boot from. Make sure the option to boot from USB is enabled.

If all else fails, you can always remove hard drive and connect it to a working computer to retrieve files, assuming that the drive itself has not failed.

It looks like it's related to this issue which others have been hit with during/after Win 10 latest updates..

https://www.askwoody.com/2018/have-y...empty-desktop/

Reading the whole post including reader's responses it doesn't look like there's an easy non-destructive fix. It may be best to do what jdc2000 suggests and try hooking the drive up to another computer to extract the files you want to keep before Windows10 accidentally deletes them.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thread Information