Windows 10 Updates Photoshop Lock Up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Updates Photoshop Lock Up

Windows 10 Updates Photoshop Lock Up

I've had a new PC for several months and have been using Photoshop just fine. It's never once locked up on me.

But this Saturday the 19th it started to lock up when I change the image size. Not every time but randomly. This forces me to close the program and even if I've saved my work it's really annoying because I have to open up all ten files again!

This may happen 5 minutes into a project or 30 minutes but it's just when I change the image size, bigger or smaller.

I can't live like this! So I uninstalled Photoshop and reinstalled it with the same results!

Adobe's help forums offer some suggestions for boosting performance. But they have not solved this problem.

So why after months of working fine would it suddenly have this random problem? The only thing I can figure is that there was major Windows 10 update on the 18th. Windows warned me of this and it took 20 minutes to update on the 18th. That's the only change my PC has had. Again, it was working just fine earlier in the week.

Please help!

You could try rolling back the Windows 10 update to see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks! That was my second plan. But I couldn't figure out how to do it. How do I roll back the 18th's updates?

I've been checking like crazy to see if others have had similar problems but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks. I try this when I get home. I'm praying it solves the problem.

Well now that the weekend is over and wasted so much time trying in vain to fix it, the problem has just somehow magically fixed itself.

Seriously. I left my PC off all day and when I turned it back on Photoshop was working fine.

Hopefully it will never return.

Thanks for your help.

I'll wait for a week's worth of usage to give it a clean bill of health.

Sorry I didn't write back. But sure enough the problem returned by the end of the week!

I've tried to find some kind of pattern. The chance of a lock up seems to lessen when there's no "Image Preview" when changing "Image Size." But this feature can't be disabled! (many other complained of the same problem).

The only way to avoid an "Image Preview" is to hide the image layer, hence nothing is shown onscreen and there's no "Image Preview."

What's frustrating are how the lock ups are so random! I can't go for more than 30 minutes without a lockup. But I can get 2 lock ups within the same minute sometimes!

Again, this only happens when I'm changing "Image Size" so it happens a lot. Has anyone heard of a similar problem?

What version of Photoshop are you using? You might check to see if there is an update for it.

If you get it running in a stable mode again, you might consider creating a Virtual Machine to use with Photoshop. That way you could prevent Microsoft updates from messing with the stability.

It the latest full version. I completely uninstalled it and reinstalled it and updated it so I know it's up to date.

I'll also try it when physically disconnected from the internet. If I don't get lock up at least I'll narrow down where the problem is.

How much memory does the computer with Photoshop have?

I tried it physically disconnect from the internet and problem persists.

I PC has a 12 RAM and a 120 GIG SS drive, and a 1 tara hard drive.

AFTER this problem began I made some setting changes recommended by Photoshop. I moved the "scratch disk" to the 1 tera D drive instead of the 120 GIG drive. Before this I was getting warnings of the scratch disk being full by Photoshop, it didn't lock things up but it slowed things down.

I also changed the amount of space granted to Photoshop to 90%. I believe the default memory for Photoshop is set at 70%. This was recommended to prioritize Photoshop over other programs running at the same time. (I never run other major programs at the same time as Photoshop)

Also, the history settings were changed from 50 all the way down to 15.

After these changes the problem still continued. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop since then and problem continues.

It looks like you have sufficient hardware capability, and have made recommended configuration changes for Photoshop. Chances are it is Microsoft messing with Windows things that is causing the issue. You could try checking Event Viewer logs for any clues as to what might be happening.

Last night I learned to use Event Viewer. I found many errors. About one every five minutes whether I'm using the PC or not. I guess this is normal.

I went to a time on Sunday I knew Photoshop had crashed and looked for anything saying "Photoshop" or "Adobe" and I found some. But what do I do with this information?

Do you want me to post one of errors?

When I right clicked I saw and option to "Attack this error." Wow! But what will that do.

Significantly I found red "Error!" messages about five minutes apart twenty four hours a day every day. I guess this is normal?

For last Saturday and Sunday when Photoshop was crashing I found yellow "Warning!" None of them mentioned Adobe or Photoshop but I can't ignore the timing. When Photoshop was NOT in use there were no "Warning!"

Post the Red error message(s) that you are getting so we can see what might be causing them.

Thread Information