[RESOLVED] I need to find my Win 8 product key

Thread: [RESOLVED] I need to find my Win 8 product key

Resolved [RESOLVED] I need to find my Win 8 product key

Ok this is what happened, my brother bought a Gateway desktop 64 bit with windows 8 installed. He hated it so he wanted me to install windows 7 instead. I installed win 7 and everything went ok, it didn't even ask me for product key, this was on a new HDD. Now his hdd went bad, and wanted me to buy new hdd and install windows 7 again, So I do, this time it asked me for product key, but I skipped it and continued on with no problems at all, he took it home with him and he says now it wants the product key. It worked fine with me before he took it home. It did not have key anywhere on processor, and he can't find his CD or info with product key...

I still have the hdd with windows 8 on it, is there anyway I can get the product key off that hdd? I worked on that thing for over a week, and don't look forward to getting it back....If anyone can help that would be wonderful....

I have the hdd on my pc as second drive, would that make a difference about trying to find product key?

Thanks patti686
    Last edited by patti686; February 19th, 2018 at 08:23 PM.

Wasn't there a Product Key with the Windows 7 disc that you used for the installation?

The Windows 8 product key can probably be retrieved from the hard drive that windows 8 is on, but I am not sure how that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Wasn't there a Product Key with the Windows 7 disc that you used for the installation?

The Windows 8 product key can probably be retrieved from the hard drive that windows 8 is on, but I am not sure how that will
    help.
    Oh I figured since the windows 8 came on the computer, I would have to use that product key.... Well I hope he has the key to windows 7... Thanks for the help.....

Thread Information