[RESOLVED] New G-mail account

Thread: [RESOLVED] New G-mail account

Resolved [RESOLVED] New G-mail account

What ho one and all,

I am leaving my current ISP (BT) so have signed up for new G-Mail accounts for e-mail only, for my wife and myself. My g-mail account is working fine, I can send and receive. I also have my wife's g-mail account set up on my computer, and I can send/receive, no problems.

Have set up her g-m account on her computer (OE / POP3)) and it sends just fine but nothing is incoming. All my test messages are on her g-mail web site, but not coming POP3 to her computer.

I have checked, re-check, double checked and as far as I can see, all setting are correct.

Any advice gratefully received,

Thanks and toodle pip

Rex

I have Googleed the prolbem, found lots of advice; low and behold, suddenly, all her incoming (my tests) arrived on her computer. Sent another to her account and what a surprise, zilch, still locked up somewhere.

Not making any progress here. If I send her a message, it is showing on the GMail web site/ InBox on my computer when I am logged into her account. If I OE send//receive, I receive it since I am her e-mail backup and it is still showing on her GMail web account.

But on her computer, OE send/receive, outgoing works but nothing comes in on GMail. When I log onto her GMail web account, the InBox is empty. But once time, it showed the message, until I opened OE send/receive, when the GMail web emptied (because it had been delivered) but it is not showing in OE.

I though it was simple but I am wrong; what next?

IMAP stores messages on the server. POP3 downloads messages locally.
    If you want to access messages from both webmail and a local client, you should really use IMAP.

If you are using POP3, then the message is removed from webmail once it is downloaded to her system. There might be an option to "keep messages on server for x days".

Thanks for the links. To the best of my knowledge, all the parameter mentioned in the links are set correctly.

It seems the send/receive is removing the messages from gmail (because it is set as POP3) but they are not being downloaded to her computer, or more specifically, not displayed in OE. Weird because I can see them on mine.

Will try again on the morrow.

Toodle pip

The links have the same settings that I have already set in OE. I have just created another OE account, starting from scratch and still, no incoming g-mail mail. Can send but not receive. But if I send from her computer and turn OE off before it receives, I can receive the messages on mine (because I have a back-up for her accounts.) And my settings are the same that I have input on hers.

I have just sent her two mails, one to each of her ***talk21.com (old) and ***@gmail.com (new) addresses. The @talk21 arrived, the @gmail is hanging around somewhere in the ether.

I am completely flummoxed.
    Last edited by Rekusu; May 18th, 2018 at 01:41 PM.

If you can send and receive GMail from one computer and not from another, there has to be a setting somewhere that is different. Also, if the GMail message disappears from GMail (in a web browser, not OE), then something is receiving it and putting it somewhere you can't find it, or deleting it. Set up her OE to use IMAP so it won't delete anything and see what happens. run some tests one her computer with GMail open if a web browser so you can see if mail is passing through while you are simultaneously using OE. You can have both e-mail access methods open at once.

Resolved. Page one of the manual! Before we had a computer each, we had two talk21 e-mail addresses, one each. So depending upon who was using, we could see each others mail, no problems particularly since my wife is Japanese and I can't read!

When we got a computer each, I set up her account and mine was as it has been, so she was quite happy for me to receive her mails as a kind-of back-up.

Setting up G-Mail and the issues are all above. Been testing and found that if I send to her gm account, then close OE before I receive, she receives it. Basically, if it was coming to my computer, it was emptying the web gmail account. So she was getting nothing, because there was nothing there to receive.

Checking the setting of our respective talk21 accounts, I see on her a/c on my computer, I have the box,' Leave copy of message on server' checked. Doing that in E for her gmail a/c and all is solved.

No big cigar for me!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thread Information