No IP Address ??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No IP Address ???

When you installed the nforce chipset drivers, did you make sure the NIC is using the Nvidia drivers and NOT the Microsoft/Windows driver?

Ah, sorry. I just noticed that I copied the wrong link. This is the link for the nForce chipset drivers:
    https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/14875

A new day, an old problem. I decided to go back to a Windows 7 OS. After the smoke cleared, I find that I have the same internet problem as I had with Win10. I even went so far as to install the chipset driver for Win7/Vista from the geforce website. No luck whatsoever.
    When I go to the internet properties & then "connect to the Internet" ,I get two options:
    1. Broadband (PPPoE) connect using DSL or cable that requires a user name & password
    2.Dial-up

connect using a dial-up modem or ISDN

I am stumped !!
    Where there's a will, there's a way

Post the results you are getting now from an "ipconfig /all" command.

Did you check the TCP/IP settings and change them to the correct values? Link:

http://ask-leo.com/where_are_tcpip_s...windows_7.html

[QUOTE=jdc2000;1537227]Post the results you are getting now from an "ipconfig /all" command.

Here is what Ive got :Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601] Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\My PC>"ipconfig" /all Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MyPC-PC Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-B9-87-02-8E DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::882f:3f96:38b1:a619%11(Preferred) Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.166.25(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234888121 DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-22-8F-0D-18-00-1B-B9-87-02-8E DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1 fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap.{DE38FA33-06CB-46C0-A408-9782D220C1C3}: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes C:\Users\My PC>

How did you capture the ipconfig info? It's hard to read. I already told you how to capture it to a text file in post #4.

open a command prompt
    type the following:
    ipconfig > C:\ipconfig.txt
    Open C:\ipconfig.txt
    Copy and paste the info and post here

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.166.25
    At least it looks like DHCP is working properly. 169.254.x.x means APIPA is working, but it's not able to contact the DHCP server/router. The Default Gateway is blank, and that should be the router's IP. Double check that the cable is connected properly, or even switch the cable and port.

Ok here is the correct ipconfig. Sorry about that last one & also about the time lapse between post. Have many other obligations to attend to. Anyway, here it is:
    Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::882f:3f96:38b1:a619%11
    Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.166.25
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter isatap.{DE38FA33-06CB-46C0-A408-9782D220C1C3}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Again, it looks like DHCP is working on the NIC now. It's not an 184.103.x.x number. That's good.

169.254.x.x means it is trying to obtain an IP, but it's not able to find the DHCP server.

Did you try another ethernet cable and port on the router yet?

Thanks Midkynite; yes. I had tried a different cord when the trouble first occurred . As for the router, I do not want to touch. On my network, including my wife, I have at least 10 PC's, some windows 7, some windows 10, not to mention many others that I've fixed & either peddled or donated... All have connected without a single hitch. This has to be a first. I would rather trash this one rather than fuss with the router. Maybe, I could try this: the router is at the far end of the house from my office approx. 75'. The modem is setup here in my office. Everything is run through a series of Netgear hubs. The modem has a couple of extra ethernet ports. Perhaps I could run a cable to the modem & try connecting to that rather than the router. Would that work? At least to get an address established?

Uh, that would have been good to know before. Can't you just test the computer on one of the known good cables/ports? You can temporarily unplug one of your many computers to test the "bad" one.

The problematic pc is connected to an 8 port switching hub. The local pc's plus a solar panel monitor are all connect to this hub also. This hub is connected to another hub of which picks up my main pc, wife's pc (in another rm), connects to the modem, which in turn, connects to another hub at the other end of house, which connects to bedroom pc & tv, Living rm pc & tv & of course the router. Believe me! I am getting to old to remember all of these connections. All I can say is that they all work.
    To late in the day to try my previous query. Hopefully, I try tomorrow. Thanks for bearing with me on this.
    It is a challenge & I Do love challenges .

That's a lot of daisy chaining.

My point is that you should unplug a known working cable from another computer and plug it into the "bad" computer.

had to make one more try before retiring for the night. What you stated in your last post is exactly what I have been doing all along. Now I'm connected directly to the modem, bypassing everything else & still getting the same problem.
    Have good eve or whatever.. G'nite ..................

Hmm. You might need to try either a PCI NIC or USB Network adapter then. It's possible that the network port on your motherboard is bad.

I agree. I'll order a PCI NIC . I guess it doesn't have to be anything elaborate . I see some for around $10 - $15.
    I guess any brand will work? The 10/100 are pretty cheap, altho the 10/100/1000 are only a cpl bucks more...
    Thanks for all the Help Midkyne, and have a great weekwend........

Well, I thought you might have a spare NIC to try first. I'm not sure it's worth spending money on such an old system. If anything, I guess I'd get a gigabit NIC.

Thread Information