unable to connect to proxy server

Thread: unable to connect to proxy server

unable to connect to proxy server

Frustrated! Figure to come here. Boot up on Win 7 machine, connected by local router to two other computers, boots ok. However, when trying (not always) to access the internet from one of the machines get the error: Unable to connect to proxy server. Problem doesn't seem to be constant, intermittent. Checked the internet settings, and LAN connection shows the computer is connected to the proxy server. When I reset the system, the proxy server still shows. When access to the internet is possible (AOL), and on checking the LAN connections, it's still indicated the connection is still via proxy server. This bears a check mark, indicating the connection is via the proxy server. When I do a reset, the proxy server is still selected by the system. But, there are times when a connection to the internet, with the proxy server is ok, and connect to AOL is just fine. Other times, as noted, can't connect. Fuzzy explanation of problem, but hope there's an answer to eliminate the problem. Thanks, Jim S.
    Jim S.

Are the other computers having the same connection issue?
    Are they also using the same proxy server?

Dumb question, but are you actually using a proxy server or not? If you aren't using a proxy server on your network, then you should disable the proxy server option.

In addition to Midknyte's question, if you did not enable the proxy server option, then it is possible that some malware did. A scan with MalwareBytes might be in order.

Intermittent at times

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1 View Post
    Frustrated! Figure to come here. Boot up on Win 7 machine, connected by local router to two other computers, boots ok. However, when trying (not always) to access the internet from one of the machines get the error: Unable to connect to proxy server. Problem doesn't seem to be constant, intermittent. Checked the internet settings, and LAN connection shows the computer is connected to the proxy server. When I reset the system, the proxy server still shows. When access to the internet is possible (AOL), and on checking the LAN connections, it's still indicated the connection is still via proxy server. This bears a check mark, indicating the connection is via the proxy server. When I do a reset, the proxy server is still selected by the system. But, there are times when a connection to the internet, with the proxy server is ok, and connect to AOL is just fine. Other times, as noted, can't connect. Fuzzy explanation of problem, but hope there's an answer to eliminate the problem. Thanks, Jim S.
    Worked after "fix" yesterday. Booted ok today, then after a period of use, the error occurred. Two other computers on same router don't seem to have the same issue, working fine, though very slow. Speed is ok. Did virus scan, though not with Malwarebytes. When I enter internet connections, enter LAN and disable the proxy check box, and reboot, access to the internet is restored, but only for a period of time. When I go back into internet options, etc., disconnect proxy item, internet is accessed. Seems I can't prevent the proxy server item from installing itself over and over again. Works for a while, then the problem occurs again, no internet access unless I fuss with the LAN and proxy items. Still, when the proxy server check box is checked, access to the internet is again possible, but only for a period of time.
    Jim S.

When I enter internet connections, enter LAN and disable the proxy check box, and reboot, access to the internet is restored, but only for a period of time. ... Still, when the proxy server check box is checked, access to the internet is again possible, but only for a period of time.
    Those are the opposite of each other. It works when it is check and unchecked? Something is not adding up.

Since you didn't answer, I'm assuming that you do NOT have a proxy server at your location. Is this at a business or home?

What browser are you using?

Run a Malwarebytes scan as jdc2000 suggested. Something may be resetting the proxy option.

Time for a MalwareBytes scan. Something is messing with your internet connection settings. If something is found, it may be time for a full Intensive Care Unit review.

I have a Win 7 Repair Disc, but fear that programs, necessary to run the medical practice will be lost. Can't afford that to happen. And, too, don't really know if using the repair disc will resolve the issue. Am not certain whether or not the three computers are connected to a proxy server or not. Sometimes, with the proxy server engaged, the system will boot tot he internet. At other times, the computer cannot be connected to the internet without first disabling the proxy server in the LAN configuration box.
    Jim S.

Are you using a VPN service? If not, then chances are you should NOT be using a proxy server for internet access.

A Windows 7 Repair Install should not affect installed programs, but if you have malware, it won't fix that problem either. A complete Windows re-install probably would fix the issue, but then you would have to re-install all updates and other software and restore your data.

Download, install, and run MalwareBytes. Save the log file it creates. Post it here (copy and paste into a post) if anything is found. It wouldn't hurt to read through this link also, in case Broni's disinfection services are needed:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...ted-3-21-2015)

First, you need to find out if you're using a proxy server or not.
    Are you entering a proxy server address and port number? Those would be required if you are actually using a proxy server.

You should compare the proxy settings from the other two computers to the "bad" computer.

And you still didn't say which browser you are using.

Did you run a Malwarebyte scan yet?

will use malwarebytes

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Are you using a VPN service? If not, then chances are you should NOT be using a proxy server for internet access.

A Windows 7 Repair Install should not affect installed programs, but if you have malware, it won't fix that problem either. A complete Windows re-install probably would fix the issue, but then you would have to re-install all updates and other software and restore your data.

Download, install, and run MalwareBytes. Save the log file it creates. Post it here (copy and paste into a post) if anything is found. It wouldn't hurt to read through this link also, in case Broni's disinfection services are needed:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...ted-3-21-2015)
    Will use Malwarebytes (free) on Thursday and post back. Suspect, as noted here something is re-setting the proxy server in the LAN section. BUT, I've noted that internet access is still, on occasion, possible, even thought the proxy server item is checked in the LAN section of Internet Options. Don't know if I have a proxy server setup or not. Any way of telling for certain? I do note that when I uncheck the proxy server item in the LAN area, and reboot, then check the LAN area again, the proxy server item has a check mark, again. This seems to be a real tough one to crack, and I don't want to screw up everything on the drive, and have to do a re-install.
    Jim S.

Take a screen shot of the proxy settings. That may show what is setting up the proxy server data. There are some browser add ons and other programs that can use the proxy as well. eg if the address is 127.0.0.1 then that's a local address that is being used to re-route your browser downloads internally.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Switched to MSN Internet

Quote Originally Posted by fink View Post
    Take a screen shot of the proxy settings. That may show what is setting up the proxy server data. There are some browser add ons and other programs that can use the proxy as well. eg if the address is 127.0.0.1 then that's a local address that is being used to re-route your browser downloads internally.
    The prime browser was AOL. Among the number of things I've tried was to install the MSN Explorer browser, just to see if the problem wouild continue. It did, so, it would seem that regardless of the browser, the problem would persist in time. Will post back.
    Jim S.

Well, here's how it played out. First, though, thanks to all for the input. The solution was a new wrinkle on troubleshooting, at least for this tech. Verified that all three units were peer to peer, and no proxy server involved. Ran on the suggestions addressed at this site, wining up with Malwarebytes. Found 267 annoyances with five Malware. Quarantined. Rebooted, and when checking the LAN settings, the proxy server option was checked. No matter what chances I installed to correct the problems, that proxy service feature would always be re-installed, even though it was unchecked, and the auto detect feature was checked. Sooooo. Figured that something had to be set in a configuration files, somewhere, that was frustrating the repair efforts. About to give up, then figured, let's take a look at another possibility, though a long shot. Clicked TOOLS, again for the 23rd or so time, opens, Click on ADVANCED, nothing more. A long index list appears. Scroll down the list, slowly, to HTTP 1.1 Through Proxy Connection, and UNCHECK. Darn problem maker, and check HTTP 1.1 through peer to peer connection. That did it. Did five or so cold boots, checking each time in TOOLS to make certain the correct, box was checked, and it was. So far as I can tell, or the many suggestions here and at other sites, never mentioned this possible cure for the "The proxy server isn't responding" error message. Jotted fix in my tech manual, and hope to never have to use it again. This is not the way to do it in Win 10, and only suspect, since it's been a long time since I worked with XP, Vista, and Win 8 and 8.1 if this would work. Still, there ought to be a similar approach in these other operating systems. Again, thanks for the post. I always get my answers here, and they just keep me going until I get the answer. Best to all. Jim S.
    Jim S.

Thread Information