Can I use File History to transfer files to a new compute?

Thread: Can I use File History to transfer files to a new compute?

Can I use File History to transfer files to a new compute?

I have a Win 10 home edition laptop that I am closing down and a new Win 10 home edition laptop I have purchased. I use both File History to an external USB drive and I use Acronis to backup files and folders. I have transferred easily the Documents folder by copying the contents from the old computer Documents to the external drive and then copying them to the new Documents folder. But there are other files to move. I have read that using the File History is a greaat way to do this, but I have also seen some comments that it did not work Is there a good site that gives step by step instructions to follow? That seems a b etter way than using Acronis. This is the first time I have needed to do this, and I would like to have a page or so of written steps. Thanks.
    JGB

Possibly useful links:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...-installation/

https://www.howtogeek.com/74623/how-...-in-windows-8/

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2974...p-feature.html

I would still use Acronis to make image backups. Those can be used to restore ALL files and the OS in case of a hard drive failure or other disaster.

Thanks for the sites. They are helpful.
    JGB

Well, the Tech Republic site was most helpful. The reason, I discovered, that many people find File History not useful for transferring files from a different computer is that we turn File History on without knowing that to make use of this as a transfer method from another computer the disk containing the files must be connected prior to turning File History on. I did exactly that, turned it on as I set up the computer! The article indicates that transfer option is offered only one time! Never see it again, except by re-doing the user profile somehow. The other two sites gave excellent instructions for how to turn File History on, how to select and reject folders, etc. I think Microsoft really did not intend for this to be used as a transfer from one computer. Very useful if you know a few bits of information that do not seem widely explained.

I certainly appreciate your assistance, JDC2000,.I read this site three times, over and over, looking at the images, and realized I will need to reclaim, delete or something about the original login to get this to work. Looking at how I use my computer, I think copying all of the Documents, Pictures, Videos an Music folders may be all I need I had to install all the programs I use, of course, but my usage is simple, but I don't think using File History would have prevented that. Restore files on the same computer after a crash or maybe when getting a new hard drive. I am taking it for granted this fellow knew what he was talking about. Again, I certainly appreciate your help and time in locating those sites.
    JGB

Thread Information