Windows 10 Doesn't Boot On First Try? ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Doesn't Boot On First Try? ?

Windows 10 Doesn't Boot On First Try? ?

I recently rebuilt an HP Pavilion p6230y tower & updated the OS to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Everything works fine except this one problem. When I first turn it on it will boot to the normal Windows 10 logo but then stalls & just hangs there. Now if I power down & restart, it will then boot up to the desktop normally. I went into the Bios & made sure the boot sequence led to the HD as first boot. I even made the second boot lead to the HD, just to make sure. That did not change anything. Any ideas sure would be appreciated. Thanks
    Where there's a will, there's a way

Do you have Windows set to boot to the Desktop without entering a password?

When you say it hangs, what actually happens? Can you move the mouse pointer at all? What happens if you click anywhere on the splash screen or press Control-Alt-Delete on the keyboard?

Yes, win10 boots to direct desktop after that brief picture of various sites (not matter how hard I try, I can not remove that on any but one windows 10. ) regarding the hang: nothing moves. no mouse, no contrl-alt-delete. I have to pull the plug to shut down.

brief picture of various sites
    You should not be seeing anything but the Windows 10 splash screen until you log in.

Have you checked Event Viewer for any potential issues? It sounds like something is hanging on startup. Is the hard drive activity indicator light on constantly during the "hang"? How long have you waited to see if the boot process will continue?

just got home. will check these out. Thanks for the reply

OK here is what I find: if the pwr is removed from the MB for a certain length of time, it boots to a black screen with just the 4pane window of win10. No activity HD light going, no mouse, no cntr-alt-del. When I power down (pulling the plug), while there is still some residual power in the MB, it will boot normally. The logo screen comes up followed imediately by the rotating round circle indicating the the boot is in progress. haven't checked the event viewer but will do that next.

I went into the event viewer & needless to say "the event viewer is way over my head". Anyway, there were lots of errors, some critical in the kernal power, also in other that had spanned for days because I had this tower on the wrk bench for a number of days without a internet connection & was changing out different ram chips. I don't know I did the right thing but I downloaded a bat file that allowed me to clear the event logs totally.
    I was amazed at how long it took to clear it. Was also a bit concerned, so I rebooted afterward & all seem to be ok. Have not tried unplugging the power as yet.....

The Kernel-Power errors in Event Viewer just indicate that you powered off without shutting down first.

You should use the Windows ShutDown method to power off the system, rather than pulling the plug on it.

I most generally do. However, I probably pulled the plug before the residual energy in the MB was dissipated.After house cleaning of the event viewer, I shut it down for some time, then powered it up & the problem still persists. It's strange why it takes two power-ups to to make it go ......

Check the Event Viewer logs again and look for any red items that are not Kernel-Power.

Instead of pulling the plug, try using the power button to shut it down - hold it in for 30+ seconds.

Using the power button on that first boot has no effect; reason for pulling the plug. In the Event viewer log under Administrative Events, There are a combination of 507 errors & warnings. Some date back last month. The bat files was supposed to clear all but obviously it did not. Among the errors are: Print Service, Distributed COM, AppModel-Runtime, NETBT, Server, Cap12, Service Control Manager, WMI-Warn, Service Control Manager & last but least: User Service Registration..........

We need to determine if you have a hardware or software issue. The easiest way to do that may be to try booting from either a CD/DVD or USB flash drive.

If you have a CD/DVD drive, try making a bootable UBCD disc using the link below, and then cold boot (power off for 1 minute, then power on) from that.

If you have no CD/DVD drive, try creating a bootable Linux USB flash drive and cold boot from that.

If cold booting from different media causes the same issue, then you have a hardware issue. Running the hard drive manufacturer's test program would then be the next step.

If cold booting from different media works OK, then you should still run the manufacturer's hard drive test, but you could have a Windows problem also.

UBCD Guide:
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...oot-CD-5-Guide

Thanks jdc2000, for all your help & info. However at this stage of the game, I have a feeling that the fix would be more trouble than the ailment. Being that I keep my pcs powered on 24/7 & I generally recommend the same to others, I think I will just leave it as-is. This problem is a first timer for me but I've run out of energy to pursue it any further. Again I thank you for taking the time for my assistance. Have great evening.......

That might work, however, if it is a hard drive issue, you will soon discover that you have a dead drive. I would at least run the manufacturer's diagnostic on that.

will do thanks......

Thread Information