Trying to get youtube on my TV

Thread: Trying to get youtube on my TV

Trying to get youtube on my TV

I have an ASUS media player connected to the web via RJ45 and that's connected to a Sony WEGA 60" TV via the red, yellow and white RCA jacks (I don't have an HDMI cable).

The TV is set to Video 2 and I'm getting the Sony WEGA logo on screen. Now what? Is it even possible because the Sony is not a Smart TV.

Could it be done by sending the signal from a laptop?

Thanks - rev

Not familiar with the ASUS box although you should get some signal from it the way you've hooked it up assuming it's actually plugged into video 2. You may have to go into its settings to get it to "see" the TV... IE match resolution etc. I use a laptop or a PC regularly to watch youtube and other web based media on my TV. HDMI is the best way since it carries digital video and audio in one cable. But I sometimes use a VGA cable and patch audio separately. That works fine too.

You don't need a smart TV for this.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

>Not familiar with the ASUS box
    It's the O!Play which was their flagship model as of about 10 years ago. I paid a lot for it (about $400) because they were pretty new. Now you can get something for less than $50.

So, you're saying this can work and I should just play around with settings? As long as I don't have to RTFM...

From what I gather looking at Oplay ads you need to stream content to it to get it to play anything so it can't just get hooked up to the web to play videos etc. You'd need to stream it from another computer in your house to the Oplay by setting it up in a network.

I have an older Android box that I used to use for IPTV that could do that too but it would be much more difficult than just doing what I said I do above which is hook up a computer to my TV.

If I use a laptop, I won't need the OPlay. Any OUT of the computer to any IN on the TV?

I think, by some (non-biblical) miracle, I have the most extensive set of connectors that won't work, known to man.

I've got the following connectors:

USB - PS2
    HDMI - DVI
    VGA 9 pin
    RCA Composite (Manny Mo and Jack)

So the puzzle is how to get from HDMI or 9 pin VGA OUT of the computer, to S Video, HDMI or Three Amigos IN on the TV. If the OPlay is involved, it has SATA, USB, RJ45 and Composite INs

I just found S/PDIF, Coax, Firewire and Optical cable but I still can't get there from here!
    Last edited by Reverend; April 30th, 2018 at 11:45 AM.

HDMI to HDMI would be the best and simplest and cheapest way of doing it. You could use adapters to get from the PC to the TV's other video inputs but you'd still need a 3.5 mini to Left/Right RCA cable for the separate audio signal from the laptop's headphone/audio output. The HDMI to HDMI connector is the only one that includes the audio signal.

Using S-video or RCA/component inputs on the TV would provide noticeably inferior video quality compared to HDMI and would require more expensive adapters than just buying an HDMI cable.

Thread Information