Windows 10 question

Thread: Windows 10 question

Windows 10 question

If I down load a Linux on my windows 10 what will it do to my 10? Will I be able to keep using my 10, Thanks for any help I don't have a Disc drive on my PC?

What do you mean by "down load"? If you're just downloading a Linux .iso file, that won't affect Windows.

Do you mean "install"? If you're just trying out Linux, I'd make a bootable flash drive or create a virtual machine.

Thank you both jdc2000 and Midknyte. I appreciate your help. Sounds like my best option is to download on a Flash Drive

So you mean create a bootable Linux flash drive, not download. Just to be clear.

You can download the .iso file (get the one with the Cinnamon desktop) to your hard drive, and then use that when creating a bootable flash drive.

One quick question. I have a 16 GB Flash Drive and how do I direct the Linux to this Flash Drive when i start the down load?

First, you would download the Linux .iso. Then you'd use a tool to create the bootable flash drive.

jdc2000 has already provided some links. You could also use a tool like Rufus or YUMI.
    http://rufus.akeo.ie/
    https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-m...t-usb-creator/

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    First, you would download the Linux .iso. Then you'd use a tool to create the bootable flash drive.

jdc2000 has already provided some links. You could also use a tool like Rufus or YUMI.
    http://rufus.akeo.ie/
    https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-m...t-usb-creator/
    What I am trying to do is download a version of Linux onto a flash drive. When I go to Linux it says DOWN LOAD UBUTO If I click DOWN LOAD will it go to my flash drive or my hard drive? I want it to go to my Flash drive. I hope then to set it so I can use Linux of my Flash drive I have a friend who will aid me in that part

If you are wanting to BOOT from the flash drive into Linux, then you want to download the .iso file for the Linux distribution you want to use to your hard drive, and use one of the tools that will take the .iso file on the hard drive and make a bootable image on the flash drive from it.

I still think you are confusing "download" with "install".

When I go to Linux it says DOWN LOAD UBUTO If I click DOWN LOAD will it go to my flash drive or my hard drive?
    What link are you talking about? There are many different versions of Linux. Download does NOT mean it is installing.

Downloading the Linux file is the first step. You're just downloading the data file. It would be the same as download a zip file or pdf.
    After that, you need to use a utility like Rufus, to write the Linux .iso file to the flash drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    I still think you are confusing "download" with "install".

What link are you talking about? There are many different versions of Linux. Download does NOT mean it is installing.

Downloading the Linux file is the first step. You're just downloading the data file. It would be the same as download a zip file or pdf.
    After that, you need to use a utility like Rufus, to write the Linux .iso file to the flash drive.
    I am not making myself clear I do not want to set up Ubunto I just want to download it to my flash drive an have a friend do the setting up. What I been trying to find out is How to down load it to my flashdrive. I have downloaded hundres of programsetc to my hard drive but how do i make it download ubundo in to my flash drive I am afraid to download it to my hard drive it might mess up my hard drive so i could not use it.

I just want to download it to my flash drive an have a friend do the setting up.
    Again, you keep mixing up "download" with "install". Downloading the Linux .iso will NOT affect Windows. It's basically like any other data file, just bigger.

If you want to do an installation from the flash drive, you'd still use the same utilities to write the .iso file onto the flash drive.

Please permit me to thank all responders. I was confused at first but now i understand and thank all again. I have downloaded the Lintux obutu and have it on my hard drive. My friend will finish the installing

Thanks for your reply. I have downloaded a ubuto onto my hard drive and am awaiting my friend to take it from there

Thread Information