Data Scandal at Facebook

Thread: Data Scandal at Facebook

Data Scandal at Facebook

Should I feel sorry for the millions of sheeple who freely share private info on FB and then find that they have no privacy?

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    I don't. I feel they should know the web is not criminal free.

Most people who have Facebook accounts have their account set so no one can see their profile except for the friends they befriend. However, I've known some people who aren't concerned with who they befriend, as in, people they never know who they are.

Facebook has been known to reset users' privacy settings without notice also.

Anyone who is looking for news on Facebook or Twitter is looking in the wrong places.

I believe we're in the minority. The majority of the world doesn't know the emperor has no clothes, and I've even stopped arguing with them. It's about as productive as presenting the case for atheism with theists. ::brickwall::

I predict the next big hack will concern people who pay for everything through their smart-phones. Any other predictions?

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I keep warning my brother who has thousands of "friends" on his facebook page. He doesn't know most of them.. they're just friends of friends of friends or random people who message him. He regularly tells everyone what he's doing almost every moment of the day including when he's leaving the house for dinner or even on vacation. He's often broadcast his address and location. I told him he's asking to have thieves break into his home when he's out but he doesn't seem to care that much. He counters that he has an alarm system and insurance. SMH.

One time he came back from the doctor's and complained about his bill so he posted a picture of it.. his name, address, SIN/SSN no, health card no and lots of personal info that anyone could use for identity theft. I made him take that down but it was up for nearly a day.

Thing is. many of his "friends" also do similar things on their facebook pages. It's crazy.

I don't use my smart phone for financial transactions but regularly use a debit card. Even that requires a lot of attention. I change my PIN every month and only use it at trustworthy locations like banks, major store chains and never at corner stores or in random ATM machines (the worst!) and I've still had it used surreptitiously by cyber thieves. Twice! Both times my bank reimbursed me because I followed their rules about how to safeguard it but it shows that even someone who's careful with such things can be victimized.

Biggest joke is neither the police or my bank would tell me how they stole the info on my card so I had no idea what I could have done to stop it. The cops said to ask my bank and my bank said to ask the cops.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

"I don't use my smart phone for financial transactions but regularly use a debit card. Even that requires a lot of attention. I change my PIN every month and only use it at trustworthy locations like banks, major store chains and never at corner stores or in random ATM machines (the worst!) and I've still had it used surreptitiously by cyber thieves."
    Before or after they put chips on the cards?

I don't have a smart-phone at all. I have enough work trying to keep my desktops secure.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    I have a smart phone but it never goes online. I do my banking online but it's a secure connection. My Facebook, does not have any of my personal information on it. In fact, not even my real name, not my real address and no phone number. Even if I was hacked they wouldn't find me.

I'm pretty careful, but probably not as careful as I should be. I don't share any info on Facebook but I do have online banking and have my account linked to my cell. Nothing's happened so far but its probably only a matter of time, now that I think about it...

Before or after they put chips on the cards?
    One before and one after.

Unrelated but I also once had someone set up a fake phone account using my name. I knew nothing about it until one day I got a bill for around 1,200 dollars. Again, I had to call the cops and create an official crime report. I didn't have to pay the bill.. it was obvious it was a thief, all the calls were made to India from outside Toronto, but jumping through legal hoops and having cops visit my home was more than annoying.

Turns out all they needed to set up the fake account was my name and address which were both things freely available in the phone book.

Quote Originally Posted by fink View Post
    Unrelated but I also once had someone set up a fake phone account using my name. I knew nothing about it until one day I got a bill for around 1,200 dollars. Again, I had to call the cops and create an official crime report. I didn't have to pay the bill.. it was obvious it was a thief, all the calls were made to India from outside Toronto, but jumping through legal hoops and having cops visit my home was more than annoying.

Turns out all they needed to set up the fake account was my name and address which were both things freely available in the phone book.
    That's terrifying...

It absolutely sucks what happened to you, Fink. Facebook needs to be regulated, pronto. I see it as a utility at this point. It needs to be politically neutral and secure. Same goes for Google.

so does it mean that people can do that as long as they have a phone book?
    It did. Maybe still does. I tried to get more details from the phone co and the cops but it was a waste of time. I told the phone company not to allow any other phone numbers under my name/address/etc unless there was a much better screening process and they said ok but it may well have just been lip service. Having said that no one else has done that since not that the odds would say some random jerk would do it to me twice.

Thread Information