Can't change which icons appear in notification area- maybe harder than you think

Thread: Can't change which icons appear in notification area- maybe harder than you think

Can't change which icons appear in notification area- maybe harder than you think

I Googled it, and the process I saw described is not available to me - I don't have that option. It's missing.

Taskbar_Setting.png

That last option, " Taskbar Settings", does not exist for me. It just ends above it on my computer, with the item, "Lock ALL taskbars", instead of, "Lock THE taskbar".

I have this problem a LOT in Win10. Very often, I'll follow their directions, get to the window they suggest, and that window lacks that option for me, or looks different, despite it having the right window name and SOME of the items in their description. For example, here, everything is the same, except for the one option I need, which is missing.

Thanks!

System:
    Windows 10 Pro, 16gb RAM, Ryzen 1700x, ASrock Taichi x370, GTX 960

OK, I rebooted since my last post (I had rebooted a few times in-between discovering my issue and posting here - first quick and dirty trick every PC user learns to fix something), and now I have a new last item in that list, "Properties". I clicked on that and found my way to teh System window, which lists, under Notifications and Actions", "Select which icons appear on the taskbar".

The "control panel" windows in Win10 are like some kind of sick Douglas Adams joke. I swear they're never the same twice, and every how-to I look at on the internet, their windows are different in some way than mine.

EDIT:

A few minutes later, the last item is not, "Properties" but, "Personalize". I opened up the, "Personalization" window, then right-clicked on the taskbar again, and once again, the last item is, "Properties", which took me to a small, "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" window.

I stand by my Douglas Adams remark.
    Last edited by Docjon; March 14th, 2018 at 04:21 AM.

You need to specify which version of Win10. Microsoft makes changes to menus in different versions. That's why your search results show different screenshot. And yes, it is really annoying.

https://www.howtogeek.com/236195/how...s-10-you-have/

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    You need to specify which version of Win10. Microsoft makes changes to menus in different versions. That's why your search results show different screenshot. And yes, it is really annoying.

https://www.howtogeek.com/236195/how...s-10-you-have/
    You know, I KNEW this was gonna be an issue when they announced, "Windows Forever." Back in the earlier days of the 'net, I used WinAmp to play my music, and I got it into my head that I wanted to make a 'skin' for it. I looked up instructions on how to do it, and there was a TON of info out there. The problem was, Winamp changed versions frequently, and a lot of folks didn't account for that, so you could be halfway through a tutorial, making something, then discover you couldn't continue because there was something very different about his WinAmp and yours. Few of them told you what version of WinAmp writing about. End result was, I gave up on WinAmp and starting using another program I could actually skin.

I was afraid the info and tutorials for Win10 would get just as muddy without those clear version delineations, and I guess that's happening. I don't even know which version I'm using now, TBH. I built this machine like 3 days ago, and I'm not sure what updates have made it to me yet.

I wonder why they put such a basic thing as where to find windows preference settings through so many permutations in just a couple years. They can't agree WHERE you should go to adjust a setting? And what the heck was with my right-click taskbar options changing from Properties to Personalize? It's back to Properties again now, BTW. It speaks of poor planning and an inability to make a decision and stick with it.

Thanks for the reply. I hope folks start paying closer attention to build versions and label their online tutorials with that info going forward.

I don't even know which version I'm using now, TBH.
    The link I posted tells you how to find your build and version numbers.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm running v1511, build 10586.1176. It's nothing I've thought about much until this conversation. I'll be keeping it in mind, though, and as I wrote above, hope others will as well. Things will get a little confusing if we don't.

Thread Information