Will mobo still post without DRAM installed?

Thread: Will mobo still post without DRAM installed?

Will mobo still post without DRAM installed?

Shaking my head in wondering what I am doing wrong. It's been awhile since I have been building pc system through out mu life.

But I am on my third mobo and cant figure out what I am doing wrong.

My first mobo was a used Fry's store mobo the Gigabyte GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI, would not post, so I return

My second was a new from Micro Center same mobo the GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI, post but froze when using the Gigabyte App Center software to update software and drivers, It got to the fourth app which I believe was the Gigabyte software Fusion RGB at 80% installation it froze the system and when I hard power cycle the system, NO POST.

Third mobo I got was a Gigabyte GA-AB350-GAMING 3, NO POST. the best part of this board is that it has a STATUS LED on the board, so if there is an issue, it will light up to what might be the issue. CPU, VGA, DRAM, BOOT. So the light is lite up on the DRAM. So I uninstall the RAM and power cycle without the RAM, as I told to do, by another computer tech person, or wantabee.

My question is , even if there is no ram installed, would the BIOS screen still appear on the monitor?

Here's my part listed:

Case: Cooler Master Masterbox 5 Lite RGB
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350N or Gigabyte AB350
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 APU 2400G 3.6Gzh base 4 cores 8 threads
    G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3000 / PC4-2400 8GB per stick x2 = total 16GB
    Samsung 960 Evo - NVMe/M.2 250GB (what my OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit will be running off)
    and a Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB

Any help, would be greatly appreciated...
    Will update soon

My question is , even if there is no ram installed, would the BIOS screen still appear on the monitor?
    NO. POST checks for RAM.

You would think that mobo manufactures to install enough DRAM to run their bios, and have the bios display any problem that it may detect with hardware installed. Like a pre-check system before booting into Windows.
    Will update soon

enable X.M.P. in the bios. Most of the time it has helped me.

Quote Originally Posted by bchzd22 View Post
    enable X.M.P. in the bios. Most of the time it has helped me.
    Unable to access bios, due to no post bchzd22
    Will update soon

Here's is what I am finding and I don't think these folks at the computer store are thinking about when they are trying to move inventory, but I know I see this noted and wondering if this is what I could be having an issue with, since the BIOS firmware isnt updated yet.

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) AMD X370 / X399 Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX
    Compatible with AMD DDR4 motherboards

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    Will update soon

Ahh thought you were saying you could get to the bios. I'm sorry. Reset the bios maybe. A 3 pin on the mobo that would be the second header up just to the left of the vid card slot or remove the battery from the board for a bit. 3rd option is to shoot it. I had this issue, same board.

It's possible that it's a memory compatibility issue. Unfortunately, you'd need to try different RAM.

Memory compatibility list:

download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-ab350-gaming3.pdf

Might need a BIOS update to get your current memory to work, but to update the BIOS you need working memory.

No mention of beeps on any part.
    We all know that tells a lot.
    Good point on the ram part though.
    Last edited by bchzd22; March 14th, 2018 at 06:47 PM.

Well I just got my system back from the Tech people, and they said that they seen and been having issues with the 350 boards, mostly gigabyte boards that support the 350 chipset, and they put in a 370 board...
    and now I have a working system....

But I want to know the true underline cause with the 350 boards... but no one has an answer for this...
    Will update soon

Ahh thought you were saying you could get to the bios. I'm sorry. Reset the bios maybe. A 3 pin on the mobo that would be the second header up just to the left of the vid card slot or remove the battery from the board for a bit. 3rd option is to shoot it. I had this issue, same board.
    The battery is none removable, on the Gigabyte AB350N-Wifi
    Will update soon

No mention of beeps on any part.
    We all know that tells a lot.
    Good point on the ram part though.
    No speaker builtin nor any pins for a speaker
    The Gigabyte AB350 board did have LED read out for CPU, DRAM, VGA, BOOT (I did get a steady lite on the DRAM) but they claim there was no issue with the RAM, and it turns out that was in issue with the motherboard.
    Will update soon

Thread Information