Opera browser>bookmarks

Thread: Opera browser>bookmarks

Hybrid View

Opera browser>bookmarks

So I installed Opera yesterday to see if I liked it and I can't for the life of me find a way to have bookmarks show as a dropdown option in either a toolbar at the top of the browser or even on the bookmarks bar.

The only way I can get bookmarks to show/open is as a tab/webpage in a browser window which is cumbersome and totally unacceptable. Google has been no help.

I'd also like to move the tab bar from the top of the browser to just above the web pages. Maybe there's some addon that can adjust the look? If there is I can't find one.

tnks

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Possibly useful links (if you have not already seen them):

https://www.askvg.com/tip-enable-imp...p-up-in-opera/

https://www.askvg.com/download-opera-latest-version/
    (several items to check out on this one.)

Thanks, unfortunately my Opera browser (latest version) does not have that option on the opera://flags page.

This lack of easily accessible bookmarks is just bizarre. Searching for answers shows earlier versions of the browser with the same type of bookmarks access as other browsers but for some strange reason they seem to have abandoned that concept. I'd try an earlier version but they probably aren't as secure.

I'm close to closing the book on this experiment.

Opera seems to have adopted the Google Chrome idea - minimal to no user customization - "Our way or the highway", or "Our way is the right way, the only way.". Vivaldi might be a better choice, if you haven't already tried it.

I will try Vivaldi and see how that works. I really just want a replacement for FF but so far none have passed. I've found that Firefox is slower than the other browsers I've used recently (even with all addons disabled) but FF is still more user friendly by a long shot so I'm looking at others I haven't tried yet. I'm currently using the latest ESR release but may try the latest greatest newest version even though it does not yet support most of the addons I use regularly.

I have tried the portable versions of the latest Firefox releases (54, 57, 58, 59), and all except 54 crash on most web sites. 54 works on some sites, but I often have to delete and recreate the setup/run folders when it does crash. The ESR version I am using also crashes frequently.

Unfortunately, browser software makers these days are more concerned with bling-bling and eye-candy than they are about stability, security, or usability.

I asked this question in the Opera forums and the reply was...

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd also like to move the tab bar from the top of the browser to just above the web pages
    It's not possible.

I can't for the life of me find a way to have bookmarks show as a single click dropdown option
    Maybe you can try some extension to achieve it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

And this was from one of the mods. So if that's all they can come up with.. buh bye Opera. Too bad 'cause it's pretty fast and I like the mouse gestures but the bookmarks issue is just WAY too annoying to deal with. Having to switch to another browser window and then manually search and click, click, click... to open a folder/file tree to access a shortcut every time I want to open a web page is ridiculous.

EDIT:

I've been trying Vivaldi. Very promising. Have to use it for a while to get a full impression but it's also faster than FF and has an intuitive user interface as well.

Thread Information