Defrag question

Thread: Defrag question

Defrag question

Consensus seems to be that 15% is an acceptable level of fragmentation, my C: drive was at 40%.

I started defragging with Defraggler but I couldn't finish because I had to go out. By then it had reached 10%. I resumed the task when I got back and it finished at 19%!

I can understand that if there wasn't enough free space to shuffle things around, or if I had some massive files, but I don't and my C:\ drive has 192 gig used and 273 gig free.

What's the answer, or should I be asking Defraggler?

Thanks - rev

Do you have Hibernation enabled? That creates a huge system file, so it would be better to disable it before defragging. You can re-enabled it afterwards.

Is your pagefile fragmented? Again, you could temporarily set "no paging file", defrag, and then re-enable the page file.

Hibernation was disabled by default and the 'no paging file' option didn't require enabling and disabling, it just excludes it.

I kept going despite weird results, like starting at 30% fragged and ending at 29%. Eventually, I did get to 0 from 40% but I can't say I've noticed that 2 nano second saving!

the 'no paging file' option didn't require enabling and disabling, it just excludes it.
    Most defraggers won't touch the page file, but that doesn't mean the page file isn't fragmented.

If you have a lot of free disk space, you probably wouldn't notice a difference. If you were working with a huge file and there wasn't enough contiguous blocks, then you might notice a change.

>Most defraggers won't touch the page file, but that doesn't mean the page file isn't fragmented.
    Agreed. Besides, my defrag needs are almost exclusively folders used by Sonar digital audio files. Sonar has its own defrag which not only defrags but also eliminates any audio that isn't part of the project.

Thread Information