Mouse and Keyboard vanish when win7 starts to load
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mouse and Keyboard vanish when win7 starts to load

Mouse and Keyboard vanish when win7 starts to load

Building new computer. Old hard drive has windows 7 on a hidden partitian. Build complete with new mother board and everything else but the hard drive. As power is turned on both mouse and keyboard (USB) come on but as soon as the windows 7 starts to load both mouse and keyboard go off. Can't click anything to install drivers ect or even reinstal windows 7. Did go into Bios to make sure USB enabled. Put the old hard drive back in the old build and both work fine. Help what else do I try?
    imadreamer2

Does the computer have any PS/2 ports? What happens if you try plugging a keyboard or mouse into a different USB port after Windows has booted up?

It does have PS/2 ports so plugged the keyboard and mouse into one of those ps2 to usb things and that did not help. Also plugged into other usb ports but nothing happened. But windows never boots up, it just starts and asks if I want English USA. But of course can't click continue. And when in the screen that askes if you want to start windows in safe mode, safe mode with network, start windows normally, no mater what you click it just stops. Won't continue to load or install. Could it be the USB 3.0 ports don's see the mouse and keyboard cause they are 2.0?
    imadreamer2

Could it be the USB 3.0 ports don's see the mouse and keyboard cause they are 2.0?
    No.

Build complete with new mother board and everything else but the hard drive. As power is turned on both mouse and keyboard (USB) come on but as soon as the windows 7 starts to load both mouse and keyboard go off.
    Are you saying you installed Windows on a different motherboard, and then tried to boot into Windows, that could be the problem. You could try booting into Safe Mode first. Maybe it will be able to install the basic chipset drivers. I would just do a clean install of Windows if you're switching motherboards, though.

Win 7 is on hidden partition of hard drive. And put the new MSI B350 PCMate mother board in the new build. Fully intending to do clean install from the hard drive but with no mouse or keyboard can't click what needs to be clicked. When the power comes on the keyboard and mouse come on but as soon as the windows splash screen starts they go off. Can't even get into safe mode. Can get into the bios just not anywhere else. Even putting the cd that came with the motherboard doesn't auto load. Have to have a mouse pointer or keyboard to get it to start. Maybe I not saying it right. I found in a google search all kinds of folks with same problem but no answer.
    imadreamer2

Moving the hard drive back to the old build and both mouse and keyboard work fine. Am using the old build to post this. This old build was because the computer I originally bought from Walmart was hit by lightning and had to have everything replaced before. The had drive was fine.
    imadreamer2

Just found in the MSI user guide that USB is disabled during the install of win7 and win10 that we need to use the msi smart tool to install it. But I can't find what the msi smart tool is. Following the instructions in the book it still hits a point where you need to click continue and without the mouse or keyboard we can't do it. Chris tried in safe mode as well but still couldn't do it. Going nuts trying to figure this out...........
    imadreamer2

Win 7 is on hidden partition of hard drive.
    What do you mean by hidden? Like a recovery partition? That probably won't work if you switched motherboards. Don't you have a Win7 DVD?

No when I bought the computer they didn't give a dvd. It was on the hard drive in a recovery partition. When we rebuilt the computer after the lightning strike we never had this problem.
    imadreamer2

No when I bought the computer they didn't give a dvd.
    There is usually a recovery media creation tool, in that case.

I highly doubt the recovery partition will work on a new motherboard. Plus the OEM licensing ties the Win7 key to the original hardware.

It's actually surprising that the old hard drive will boot to Windows at all. Many times, you'd get a BSOD when switching motherboards.

If you can get the Win7 key, you could try using that with a Win7 DVD. Download the Win7 .iso and burn it to a DVD or create a bootable flash drive.
    You can use the same instructions from my Ultimate Boot CD 5 Guide link.
    http://windowsiso.net/

Ok, I am all wet. Chris says he has a brand new copy of win7. But it did work on this computer and has worked for several years. Train kept going to help me burn a win7 dvd when he visited but we never seemed to get it done. Just talked and did other things on this computer. I think it has been about 4 or 5 years. None the less Chris my son says he was using a band new copy of win 7 and it just will not load because no mouse or keyboard. You don't buy a new computer today that comes with a dvd it is on a recovery partition on the hard drive.
    imadreamer2

You could try booting from the Windows 7 cd and running a Repair Install.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2431...tallation.html

No guarantees though.

You don't buy a new computer today that comes with a dvd it is on a recovery partition on the hard drive.
    Yes. That's why you'd need to burn your own recovery or create a bootable flash drive with the manufacturer's recovery media creator.

So your son booted from the Win7 DVD and it wouldn't recognize the keyboard/mouse? And you tried all available USB ports? Is USB Legacy mode enabled in the BIOS (or UEFI)?

Tried all available USB ports. It is enabled in the Bios . The MSI screen even has an enable USB. I know and Train Jim was here at least 4 times and we talked about doing it but never got around to it. We were going to do it this year but then when he passed away in Dec that didn't happen either. Now it has been so long I forgot how to burn the dvd. But we have a brand new one with a key and everything. If it doesn't get that far it doesn't install. And you can't click the keys you need to without a keyboard or mouse. Even used the usb to ps/2 device that was working and it doesn't work. Chris keeps going over the users manual to double check and make sure everything is connected properly and can't find what he could have done wrong. Everything looks ok. He had just built his own last month and it is working.
    imadreamer2

Now it has been so long I forgot how to burn the dvd.
    I said to look at the UBCD5 Guide. It has instructions on how to burn .iso to DVD or create a flash drive.

Ok, I just looked at the motherboard specs. Win7 is known to have issues with Ryzen boards:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/11182...-windows-7-x64

Honestly, you should probably go with Win10 on that setup. Otherwise, you'll have to figure out a workaround for Win7

Thread Information