Prepairing automatic repair
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prepairing automatic repair

Prepairing automatic repair

On rebooting the Laptop I can see the hp logo and below it a dotted circle and below that Preparing Automatic Repair. and it freezes.

I have tried starting in safe mode, same thing happens

Please help
    MCP, A+,Net+

Most of the information I have seen on that error seems to indicate a failed hard drive. You can use the information at the link below to create a diagnostic CD that you can boot from to test the drive. If your laptop does not have a CD/DVD drive, you can also create a bootable flash drive that will do the same thing.

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...oot-CD-5-Guide

Post the exact model number of your HP laptop. If it is still under warranty, you may want to contact HP support.

Followed the instructions and made a boot CD. Changed boot order to CD 1st, enabled CSM Legacy , but could not disable UEFI. (how can I do this) Restarted the PC and it went into a blue screen with the hp logo and a circle of dots. It did not ask me , "hit any key to boot from CD". I don't think it read from the Boot CD. I can make a USB pendrive boot stick, but even though USB Boot is enabled I don't see how to make the boot order 1.
    IT is a HP, HQ-TRE,71025
    MCP, A+,Net+

See if this link helps with booting fro the CD drive:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03736054

DID what the link said, The PC works fine now.
    thanks
    MCP, A+,Net+

It looks like you lucked out. What did the drive diagnostic tests indicate?

Don't know what happened but I am having the same problem again, when I restarted the laptop. I ran the bootcd but I don't know what to do when the boot screen comes up. I am running the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI now. so far the Mem test Passed, the SMART passed and it is now at 8% of the Long DST progress. Will update when it completes. After it is done will like to try the bootCD again, please send me a link as to how to use it.
    MCP, A+,Net+

The link is in post #2.

Boot from CD link is in post #4.

Please look at this thread again (same link that jdc2000 already posted):
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...oot-CD-5-Guide

On a system with UEFI boot, it would have been better to create a bootable flash drive with UEFI support. (post#2)

Post#4 tells you how to run a hard drive diag.

In any case, if the long DST detects a problem, you should replace the hard drive.

Ran the Seagate tools on the hard drive using the UBCD and got the following:

Selected Drive Info
    No hard drives found
    Check cables, (I did this and repeated same problem )
    Test Info
    No Controllers detected.

I read somewhere that I should set controller mode to IDE/SATA ( I can't find this option in my BIOS)

Replaced the HD with another HD that I had been using as a external storage drive and got the same results.

I made an USB with the above instructions, what setting in BIOS do I need to run it.
    MCP, A+,Net+

I read somewhere that I should set controller mode to IDE/SATA ( I can't find this option in my BIOS)
    If anything, it would be in something like "Storage Options". I don't have an HP laptop and I didn't see anything on Google, so I can only guess.

Replaced the HD with another HD that I had been using as a external storage drive and got the same results.
    So you have a USB enclosure? If you have another system available, you could run the Windows Seatools and diag the hard drive in the USB enclosure.
    https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...s-how-use.html

Removed the hd from laptop, it is a Seagate HD put in into the enclosure and started the Seagate tests. The short test passed, I then chose FIX all. It continues to run now 8hrs later and is at 83%.
    I did do a dir. list on the HD and it shows only 1 file, system information, maybe I did or the tests did something to format the disk. That's not a problem because I have the Win 10 Setup DVD so I can reinstall the OS, if I can get the hd and laptop to start working properly again.
    MCP, A+,Net+

The short test passed, I then chose FIX all.
    What was there to fix? Something isn't right. Did you run the long test?

no I just ran the short and then the fix which also said passed. I will run the long and let you know
    MCP, A+,Net+

I would have skipped the fixes until I ran the long test. No sense fixing the drive if it fails the long test.

Thread Information