[RESOLVED] outlook 2013 woes

Thread: [RESOLVED] outlook 2013 woes

Hybrid View

Resolved [RESOLVED] outlook 2013 woes

the company i work for has 6 pc's. they are all running windows 10 and have ms office 2013 installed. 4 are using outlook and 2 are using windows live mail (don't ask).

late last thursday afternoon, one by one, the email systems on all machines began to get send/receive errors. i figured it was an isp problem. i didn't bother calling them since it was end of day and i figured it'd be back to normal overnight.

i was wrong. no change on friday morning.

i called to see if they were having issues or if it was just us. just us.

i spent an hour friday morning and a few in the afternoon trying to hunt down the problem with tech support. nothing had been changed on our end. we changed ports. checked authentication settings. and more. i was able to use their on-line mail system with no problem. i even installed and setup thunderbird and it worked fine. both of us were stumped especially because it was outlook AND windows live mail that were affected.

they finally gave up. now i'm left with the problem.

1) as a quick fix, i can switch all the machines to use their on-line system. the only problem i see there immediately is a limitation on the size of their contact "file". there may be others.

2) i thought about uninstalling and re-installing outlook 2013. from what i can see, it seems to be tied into the whole office 2013 business. am i missing a way to uninstall/reinstall it?

3) since i know thunderbird works, i can try that. however:

3a) one of the pc's is used by 3 people. it's using windows live mail and has multiple email accounts set up in it. can you do this in thunderbird?
    3b) i myself use outlook to mass mail messages to clients twice per week. anywhere from 2 to 30 clients. word has the ability to feed mail merged documents to outlook to send out. can you do this in thunderbird?

any suggestions on the above or on another solution?

thanks in advance,

terry
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU. 16GB DDR4-3200MHz RGB RAM. 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD. GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU. Windows 10. ViewSonic & Asus monitors.

Thunderbird should be able to do just about anything that Outlook can do.

However, it would still be worthwhile to try to get Outlook fixed. Can you post the exact error message (maybe a screen capture) of the errors you are getting with Outlook and Live Mail? Also, what ISP and E-Mail provider are you using?

If Thunderbird works, check the settings for that against what Outlook has for any differences.

thanks, jdc.

i'll check tomorrow when i get to work.

what i got was just the "send/receive error" text in the bottom of the outlook window. when i tried the "test" in the setup window, it came back with a 550 error talking about mis-matched user ID (i don't remember exactly but this too i'll check tomorrow). there was a point when my pc started receiving mail but not sending.

i'll get back to you with details tomorrow.

again, thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU. 16GB DDR4-3200MHz RGB RAM. 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD. GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU. Windows 10. ViewSonic & Asus monitors.

i arrived at work about an hour ago. the first thing i did was to launch outlook. just to check. lo and behold! it's working. sending and receiving. checked the pc's using windows live mail and they're working too.

i'm glad but disappointed. obviously there was something on their end that was corrected over the weekend.

thanks, again, jdc.

Thanks for the update.

hi steve,

safe mode is no different.

however, what i'm getting now is the the "sent" mail disappears but reappears in the inbox with the error message ending with:

Server error: '550 <mail address> No such user here'

what i keep seeing on google is either (1) being blocked as a spammer and (2) MX records need to be checked.

i've been on hold for 45 minutes with my isp to run this by them.

how do i go about "unresolving" this thread? the very same problem occurred yesterday.

thanks

Google the heck out of the error message.

What if you open Outlook in safe mode? Does the behaviour continue?

outlook.exe /safe
    (note the space between outlook.exe and /safe)
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

can someone handle our email hosting without hosting our website?

if so, could we still keep our email addresses ending with our domain name?

ps. your link sent me to one of the sites i visited today looking for answers lol

That is most likely caused by an issue with your e-mail provider / ISP. If they have you on "Hold" for 45 minutes, you are probably not the only one of their customers with this problem. It may be time to find a more reliable and more responsive provider to take over your e-mail hosting.

Possibly useful link:

https://www.inmotionhosting.com/supp...such-user-here

You should be able to transfer your e-mail hosting to another provider and keep your ISP and their web site hosting.

Are you currently using a Microsoft Exchange Server setup, or just POP3 e-mail?

Possibly useful link:

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-...ting-providers

https://www.rackspace.com/en-us/email-hosting/webmail

https://products.office.com/en-us/ex...e-online-plans

thanks, jdc.

i'll see if outlook is working on monday. even if it is, i feel it might be best to move our email off that isp. rackspace has been around forever so i'll call them in the morning.

i'll get back to you then.

sorry i didn't get back sooner.

we migrated our email to rackspace. email is back.

they've been more than helpful.

Thanks for the update. E-Mail is something that you just can't have going down, so a reliable and responsive provider is essential.

Thread Information