Thread: Why so slow?

Why so slow?

• Only 45 processes running
    • 12 gig of RAM recognized
    • 3.33 Intel i975 8 core chip
    • Windows Explorer and Chrome are the only apps open
    • Nothing detected by MBAM
    • No runaway processes

And yet when typing an email, I have to wait for the characters to appear. Nothing is scheduled in the background.

Where do I look? And for what?

Thanks - rev

I assume that you are typing into Google Chrome when the lag appears. If that is the case, what happens if you type the e-mail text into WordPad? Is it also as slow? If not, then it is a Chrome issue. Unfortunately, Chrome has bloated up over the years. Also, see if you have any Chrome extensions running, and disable those to see if there is any effect.

I came to the same conclusion. Is Opera any better?

I have not used the latest Opera version, although it is supposed to be a big improvement. Testing it is on my list of things to do when I have free time available. You could also try the latest Firefox version, or Vivaldi.

Thanks, I will.

The upshot of that article:
    "WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN?
    It means there is no top dog web browser today. Just don't buy the hype that one or the other kicks the other's rump when it comes to raw speed. They don't."

I think I'll try Firefox for a while.

Unfortunately, there aren't even any GOOD web bowsers today. They all want to have the latest bling-bling and eye-candy, but none of them value stability or security.

Agreed, and the more they try to do the more bloated they get.

Plugs, extensions, support for Flash, pdf converters - I don't need any of it. I just want it to show me a page.

Plugs, extensions, support for Flash, pdf converters - I don't need any of it. I just want it to show me a page.
    Exactly. Unfortunately, web page designers want you to see at least 5 TB worth of ads and troll your system for data to send back before they might think about showing you the data you wanted to see.

I remember when it was dial up only! In those days, site makers would concentrate on rendering parts of the screen the user would be most interested in - first. You gave certain areas of the screen priority load so the user doesn't get impatient and move on. We even tried posting printer manuals on BBS boards in PDF417 bar codes, they hold of text and the bar code reader can extrapolate (deduce) missing data from the data that is readable. That feature doesn't matter online but when it's on a damaged UPS label it comes in handy.

These days web designers believe everyone has a gigabit internet connection, so pages time out when you try to load them on a real world 2 MBit connection.

That one's a tough call because I'm sure they're trying to look ahead. People in my office discussed how long they were going to make pages in portrait mode. Screens were all going landscape and they were afraid the user would have to scroll left and right. I don't think you should cater to the minority (unless it's a wheelchair ramp) the more you do, the longer they'll take to get with the program.

Thread Information