Prepairing automatic repair - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prepairing automatic repair

The long test just finished and it said Passed.
    What should I do next.
    MCP, A+,Net+

I still don't like that it took 8+ hours to fix something. And you didn't say what it was fixing.

Make sure to set your bios back to the correct settings. It sounds like your Windows is gone, so you could try doing a factory restore.
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04758961

Should I put the HD back in the Laptop , restore the BIOS to default and do a reinstall with the original setup DVD
    MCP, A+,Net+

Make sure that you have any documents or files that you want to save backed up to another drive or storage medium first. Then you can try a factory restore using the original setup disc or media.

As I said in a previous post my HD has nothing on it now ( I don't know whether it was something I did or the tests that were run ) , but I do have the original setup disk. What BIOS settings would I need to setup Win 10 from the installation DVD.
    MCP, A+,Net+

Set it back to the original settings first. Win10 should support UEFI boot.

Set BIOS back to default settings, put the HD back into the laptop and restarted. It said hit any key to boot from CD, which I did. I could hear the CD start to spin. The hp logo came on and then 4 dots of the circle came on and stayed on. Don't know what to do next. I do not think the boot process sees the hd
    MCP, A+,Net+

See the link in post #4 with information on how to boot from CD/DVD. You may have to change BIOS settings to get this to work.

Followed post #4 Disabled secure boot, saved settings and then f9 boot order from Int.CD, It displayed the 4 Windows 10 logo and 4 dots, then froze.
    MCP, A+,Net+

That is looking like a possible hardware problem of some sort. Can you still boot from the UBCD disc?

You can try making a bootable flash drive to install Windows 10:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-c...a-uefi-support

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...sb-flash-drive

Yes I just ran UBCD disc, when I go to HDD and chose the Seagate tools it says HDD not found. I feel that there is no connection between the MB and the HD. I checked the ribbon cables from the MB to the HD and they seem OK, I am little nervous to pull the cables out and reinsert.
    I am making a Win 10 USB flash drive. Will run the flash drive in the Laptop and let you know.
    MCP, A+,Net+

It sounds like the motherboard is not seeing the hard drive. This could be due to a bad drive or controller board on the drive, or a bad controller on the motherboard. If the drive can still be seen when connected to another computer or using an external USB to SATA adapter, then the problem hardware is likely the SATA controller on the computer motherboard. Try disconnecting and carefully re-connecting the drive. Triple check the cable connector alignment, and also look for any foreign debris or bent pins or connectors.

Removed the cable that goes from the MB to the HD, sprayed some contact cleaner, dried it off and carefully reconnected. I ran the boot flashdrive. When I hit f9 It gave me 2 choices of flash disks,
    When I chose USB HD (UEFI), the USB kept flashing for a few seconds and the hp logo and the 3 small dots under it.
    When I chose USB HD It gave me the message. An operating system was not found.
    I checked the flash drive on another pc and it contains the following files/folders Boot, EFI, Sources, Support, Autorun.mgr, Autorun.efi, medometa.xml, and setup.exe all the files which were in the win10 install dvd
    I then ran the UBCD again and though the Seagate tools said No HD found, there was another hardware detection tool , called Diskcheck 4.3 which I ran and it found the HD#1 AHCI, 953.8mb ST1000LM035, RSM 4, supported yes.
    This is the exact Seagate HD that is in the Laptop. It also said in Details Controller 0
    I am totally confused is the HD seen on not.
    Thanks for all your help so far.
    MCP, A+,Net+

What did you use to create the Win10 flash drive? The MS Win10 media creation tool?
    https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how...ll-windows-10/

I then ran the UBCD again and though the Seagate tools said No HD found, there was another hardware detection tool , called Diskcheck 4.3 which I ran and it found the HD#1 AHCI, 953.8mb ST1000LM035, RSM 4, supported yes.
    Seatools doesn't see AHCI drives, but Win10 should.

I'm still skeptical about that hard drive, since it took 8+ hours to "fix" it.

I am making a USB flah drive using the link in Post13, will try that.
    Since Diskcheck 4.3 found the HD, does that not mean the HD is good and the connection to the MB is good.
    In any case will run the USB Flash drive with the suspect HD and then if no good will replace the HD with another and try again
    MCP, A+,Net+

Thread Information