Can I buy a phone that a cell carrier does not sell and it will still work. - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can I buy a phone that a cell carrier does not sell and it will still work.

Cool.

Until you find a rugged case for it, I'd at least wrap it in a clear protective case, like this one maybe: https://www.amazon.com/KuGi-Absorpti.../dp/B07B69GV6Q

Sorry for the delay in my response! - Thanks SpywareDr I just ordered what you suggested. THANKS!! Will not be here until April 20th but better than nothing.

Wow! thought the screen was scratched because of just a few coins in my pocket! I had a fit!! A friend looked at it and told me it is just the protective "sleeve" on the phone that is scratched and not the screen itself. Wow!! I was freaking out until then. I was thinking - with Gorilla glass 3 and it scratches this easily!! I did leave the protective "sleeve" on it as she suggested until I get a case at least.

It is so hard to find something that will fit this phone in the way of a "shock-absorber".

You're welcome.

Nothing goes in my left front pocket except my phone, with the face facing my leg. It's ~three years old and still looks brand new.

SpywareDR - An update!

Only problem with this phone (Blue Vivo X) is nothing on my phone (in the way of an app) will tell me when someone asks to look at it that they are "tucking it in their pocket" and running off with it. Only kidding! Everyone that has asked to see it and "take it for a spin" is jealous. I LOVE IT!!!! and I LOVE this phone!!!!

I bought the case you had suggested (in this thread). I finally got it. It is somewhat rugged but not shockproof like the other cases I found and used for other phones I have owned. But honestly because of your suggestion of this case I feel much better knowing that it won't slip out of my hand and slam on the floor. You should see me getting out of my car ( knowing my phone is in my pocket). I always "cradle" the pocket it is in so it does not slip out getting in or out of my car. Thanks SpywareDR for the case suggestion. I can sleep a bit better at night. It seems though that there are hardly any companies out there that make an actual shockproof case for my phone. Ones I have found I have sent a "Contact Us" and get no replies. I have even tried Armor-X here. But no one answers me from the site and it seems they do not have one for my phone. I would gladly pay the extra money for a case like this but don't know what to buy; seems as though the Vivo X is not listed. But again SpywareDR your suggestion for the case is the best I could find so far and I thank you so much for that!!!!

Thanks, I have looked them over in the past couple of days but none really state they are "shockproof" like the one for this type of phone. This is what I was looking for. Thanks for the link!! :-)

I bought this one though. I tried to contact the seller to ask if they had any more rugged ones for sale but it states the seller does not answer questions. The others are leather cases that you have to take the phone out of or not really protective enough if I drop the darn thing. My other (old phone) I have had for about 2.5years and spent the money on a really good shockproof case. Well worth the money. I must have dropped that phone more than 30 times and not a scratch on it. I am usually very careful handling my phone. Whereas my housemate has not yet learned how important it is to spend the money on a good case. Well he did learn recently as he finally spent the money on one but not before going thru about 8 phones in the past 1.5 years. His dresser looks like a salvage yard of "cracked/broken cell phone screens".

You're welcome.

From what I'm seeing online, there must not be enough demand yet to warrant creating 'shockproof' Blu Vivo X cases. I'll keep my eyes peeled though.

Thanks SpywareDR - appreciated!! I am constantly on the "hunt" to find a good case for my phone.

Just an update in case anyone with a Blu Vivo X runs across this.

I like this case that you suggested a lot SpywareDr. It is not a total "shock proof" case as I have had for other phones but it does sit in my hand nicely and I have dropped my phone twice with no damage so far.

The case itself is kind of "classy" if you may. It folds over and protects the screen especially while in my pocket. The "cut-outs" for the speaker phone, external mic etc are pretty well lined up. When you open it and fold the cover back the little magnets hold the front cover nicely in place so it is not flapping around. Only little issue is I use my fingerprint to unlock the phone and it would be helpful if the "cut-out" for my finger would be a bit larger as it takes time to move my finger around before the phone reads it.

Overall I am satisfied with it to this point. I just have to be careful to be sure my fingers don't have any grease, dirt etc to deface the nice case. For the price it was well worth it!!!! Oh, and it does have a plastic case built into it to help prevent damage if dropped.

Thanks again SpywareDr for your help overall in this thread of mine.

Another update about a year later - Blu Vivo X

SpywareDR I have to say "Thank You" again for the suggestion of this Blu Vivo X. I still get people trying to tuck it up under their arm and running off with it. No, Really!! It is a great phone for what I needed from a phone. The money was well spent!! The extra internal memory and the expandable SIM card ability is amazing! I still have tons of room on the phone and won't need another one for years now for what I use it for.

Thanks again SpyWareDR for your suggestion. Any other phone I would have purchased I would have been sitting here attempting to figure out what apps to delete, what files to move to another source or thinking about throwing it against the wall by now because it would have run out of memory with all the updates etc a year later. Problem being with most phones you can't move many apps to the SIM card. This phone I don't have to worry about that!! THANKS AGAIN!!

How to find out what is taking up space on your phone:

https://www.howtogeek.com/206591/how...ndroid-device/

https://www.howtogeek.com/112356/5-w...ce-on-android/

Note: 5G phones will start to be available this year. How soon 5G service will be available in your area is another question, however, at a minimum, you will need a 4G phone, as most service providers will be shutting off 2G and 3G service.

Quote Originally Posted by question2012 View Post

THANKS AGAIN!!
    You're more than welcome!

Excellent news, thank you!

I am the OP of this thread.

Update as of March 16 2020 almost 2 years later.

Oh No!! The phone I purchased originally from this thread, BLU VivoX is "sick" (my recent thread here explains the issues).

SpywareDR I am so upset. As I said to you in this post I loved this phone and came back to this tread to give updates on it after purchase. No one's fault but BLU hinted that there were issues with it.

Warranty company is sending me a full refund for the purchase amount less my deductible.

Because I can't duplicate the issues/problems I was having and the fact that it may happen 5 minutes later or 10 days later and that my warranty expires in 13 days the warranty company has accepted my claim (after I cried a lot on the phone).

I am so happy I spent the money for the warranty.

So now I am back to square one in this post. Looking for a GMS unlocked phone to buy. Has to be GMS so I can have AT&T (Cricket) as my carrier. I am out in the sticks and the only carrier that works well here is AT&T. Don't want to pay for their plan so I had used Cricket for $30 a month with this phone.

The internal memory on this phone BLU VivoX was 64 gigs and the SD card could hold up to 64 gigs. Looking for something with at least this amount of internal and SD memory.

Any suggestions? I am 64 and my reading comprehension is diminishing so it is becoming more and more difficult for me to read and evaluate and compare one phone from another online.

My price range is $250 to $300 but again I have to be able to use Cricket (AT&T) to activate this phone as this area up in northeast Penn is horrible for cell reception with other carriers. I prefer to stay with a Android. No iPhones.

Suggestions please

Thread Information