I know absolutely nothing about smart phones and hoping someone can shed some light for me.

Realizing that carriers sell only specific brands and models is causing me to have some difficulties in selecting the proper smartphone or small tablet.

I live out in the "sticks" and my present carrier is just not cutting it. Where I spend most of my time during the day it has been found that AT&T carrier is the best and probably the only reliable carrier to have to support a signal long enough for a phone conversation.

I realize that companies like "Sprint" and probably others use the ATT network (well from what I am told) but all of Sprints phones do not serve my purpose.

Being 62 I find it difficult to read the screens of small smartphones. My biggest challenge is when texting. My big fingers hit more than one key and I end up spending more time correcting my typing than typing.

I really need something in the area of a small tablet. Bigger than the standard smartphone but not a full size tablet so it is easy to carry around with me. Of course it has to be able to make calls.

I see this term "unlocked" or something like that when I walk into an electronics store like "Best Buy" here on the east coast. But notice the prices are very high for them. Is this the type of device I have to buy in order to "cherry pick" my phone/device I want and then match it to the carrier? If so how is that done?

Please some advice is appreciated. Please no long term contracts. I presently am using Boost Mobile and I like I can cancel anytime. But hate all their phones.

A bit of "layman" term education and suggestions would be so appreciated!

Thanks.