Video camera suggestion for a novice-use will be personal Selfie/Entertainment

Thread: Video camera suggestion for a novice-use will be personal Selfie/Entertainment

Video camera suggestion for a novice-use will be personal Selfie/Entertainment

I have been beating myself over the head looking for a camera for my personal needs. I don't know much about video cameras. When looking at the specs on listings I can't always tell what things mean and get very confused.

Just need some assistance for suggestions please if you would.

Price range: $150-$200 < May be able to stretch a few more bucks if need be.

OVERALL USE OF THIS CAMERA WILL BE AND IS VERY IMPORTANT: Most of my recordings of video will either be at my home or at friends of mine. Other times (fare less than in a house) may be simple outdoor recordings ( not while riding my bike or sky diving, canoeing etc. If it is waterproof then fine but does not have to be) a back yard BBQ and doing a selfie video of my friends during the BBQ.

A very large percentage of the videos will be while I have gatherings of friends and family at my home or someone else home inside and we take turns sitting in front of the camera making memoriable moment videos that we can look back on. Almost like what you would have at a wedding. Guests sit in front of the camera and give the bride and groom well wishes and tell a little history etc of themselves or the event itself. Since in this case there will not be a photograPher sitting with the camera I need it to be kind of easy for the person who is about to be recorded can simply see on the TV (like a monitor) in front of them that they are sitting in the frame and not have to go to the camera then back to the couch and then back again just to make adjustments. If someone feels they want to make a selfie video they just walk to the camera, sit on the couch/chair/floor and start the camera recording (the more stupid simple it is to make a recording the more people that will do it).

I would like a camera that has a SD expansion (future - max) ability in the higher range so that I do not have to constantly monitor how much space is remaining on the SD card.

I don't need a camera specifically because it is capable of uploading directly to facebook, youtube etc.

Remote control: I most certainly would like this ability if possible other than though the very basic on/off, video/snap shot and maybe one more function. I have noticed that many cameras now are coming with WiFi capability. i don't know much about this function. Does it work like a remote?

Zoom ability: I know many have this function but would like it in the remote or can it be with WiFi ability.

WiFi: I would assume if a camera has WiFi that a specific app would have to be on someone's phone in order to use the zoom feature.

Low light capability: In case the room lights are low don't want people moving lights (lamps around the room) turning on more etc. Too much work.

Tri-pod ability: Important.

Monitoring (such as casting to a TV) showing in real time what is being recorded - This is the most important feature. But would prefer wireless so no one trips over the cord from camera to TV.

Battery life: Since some people when finished may not shut the camera off the battery may drain very quickly so either a longer life battery or an extra battery.

Shock resistant: Since it might be sitting on a tri-pod unattended maybe shock resistant in case someone knocks it over.

I figure that many of you may have had many video cameras in the past and experienced their abilities. Hoping this may help me in my selection.

Thanks so much for your time.

In that price range, you may not have a lot of options. Some potential candidates include Sony models in that price range.

Possibly useful links:

http://tenbesties.com/top-10-best-ca...er-200-review/

https://www.wirerealm.com/guides/bes...er-200-dollars

Thanks so much for your help again.

Some of the cameras look very inviting. My problem is I don't know what the features refer to such as WiFi. I know what WiFi is but if a camera has WiFi what can it do that a camera that does not have it.

Big thing I need is monitor. Meaning while the camera is recording it can show what is being recorded in real life. From what I have been reading if it has an HDMI port then it is possible to set up the camera and connect it to your smart TV and as it records you can see at the same time on the TV what is being recorded?

Remote control I guess would either be a physical remote that comes with the camera or if it is WiFi and the app has remote ability are my only options. Well I think this is the case,

This one here seems to meet many of my needs but it is so much less than some of the other ones. Is it because of the brand name?

Camcorder, Hausbell Camcorder with Wifi,HDV-5052 1920x1080p Digital Video Camera Camcorder with Infrared Night Vision, Touch Screen and HDMI Output (Golden)

Maybe the price is too good to be true or I don't have my facts right. I don't mind spending more than $109.99 for something better. I realize this probably does not come with an SD card, HDMI cable etc so the dollars start to climb.

WiFi capability on a camera likely means that it can transfer the video or video files without connecting a cable.

Most cameras have a small screen that shows what is being recorded.

The camera in the link below has decent reviews. The only potential drawback is that the zoom is digital only. An optical zoom would be better, but for the price it looks like it should be able to meet your needs. You should be able to download the user manual so you can check it out before purchasing.

https://www.amazon.com/Camcorder-Hau.../dp/B01DW7L114

Thanks again for your help jdc2000.

Looked at the one you suggested. Needed a few more things maybe. But good suggestion.

Reviewed the list of "tops". Head was spinning.

I learned a lot from you which helped me. Settled on something that maybe I will regret later as it is not a well known name brand but for my needs hopefully it will work.

Here is the link to it. Camera Camcorder,Besteker 1080P IR Night Vision Camcorders Full HD Portable Digital Video Camera with External Microphone and Wide Angle Lens - within my price range and I ordered a tripod and SD card for it. Came to just under $190.

It shows it has an HDMI port so I am crossing my fingers that it will give me real=time monitoring of what I am recording on a TV as it is being recorded.

No WiFi but other features were more important such as a remote with zoom (guessing by the picture).

Some of the reviews were bad and some good. I will see once I receive it.

Again jdc2000 I would really like to thank you for your help. It did assist me more than you know!! When I get the camera and use it a few times I will make it a point (if this old brain of 62YO remembers) to come back and report the results.

Ok, so the Besteker that I mentioned just above was delivered.

There were a few mistakes in the listing one being it supports SD up to 64g when it only supports up to 32g. No big deal with me.

But I asked Besteker and they said this camera does not have the ability to view on the TV in real-time what is being recorded at that moment. I must have mis-understood what the HDMI output port is for then. I thought if a camara like this one has an HDMI port then it is capable of viewing on the TV (as a monitor) in real-time what is being recorded at that moment. Such as an extension of the camera's LCD screen. This way you don't have to look at the cameras LCD screen to see what is being recorded.

Am I incorrect in thinking this? If so, then what determines if a video camera is capable of this feature. It is pretty important to me for what I need the camera for.

Thanks

Ok, so maybe I misunderstood what the HDMI port on a video camera is for apparently. After reading more now on the internet I seem to think that even though a video camera has an HDMI port it does not mean it will have the ability to connect to a TV using the TV as a monitor during recording but may only do this for playback.

But I have read also that you may be able to buy an interface device or adapter that may give you this ability if the camera does not have this function or am I again incorrect - meaning if the camera does not have this ability to use the TV as a monitor during the recording and only the playback that there is no device that can be used to perform this function.

I am basically flying blind here. I at this point now don't even know what to look for in a video camera that will give me the ability to use my TV as a "recording" monitor.

This is getting very frustrating.

I understand that there are cameras that have this ability built in but when searching for the cameras on the net exactly what function or nomenclature am I looking for on the camera features that will tell me that the video camera is capable of this?

This is getting very frustrating.

I would appreciate a little education on this feature so I know what to look for.

Thank you so much for your time

Thread Information