Error 2203: The Process Cannot Access The File .........??

Thread: Error 2203: The Process Cannot Access The File .........??

Error 2203: The Process Cannot Access The File .........??

I'm playing with an old PC that will only accept Windows XP. Been awhile since I've installed a XP OS & have run into this problem: I have successfully installed XP with SP3 & got it activated & no problem there: However, when I try to install something like CCleaner, or an older version of MS Office etc, I get this message : "Error:The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file" . I must say, I have in the past, installed dozens of Windows OS's & don't ever recall having this kind of situation. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks much !!
    Where there's a will, there's a way

I assume that you are attempting to install using an Administrator account. Did you download and install all available Microsoft updates as well as SP3? Have you tried disabling your antivirus software before installing?

Possibly useful links:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ll-a-microsoft

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...e-file.219839/

I reinstalled the OS using a different disc & got somewhat of an improvement. Your first website you listed, was well informative. I was able to install a version of MS Office. However, CCleaner is still a no-go as with FireFox. Firefox won't install because the CPU doesn't qualify. As for CCleaner, I get the "CCleaner emergency updater has encountered a problem" issue. SP3 came with the disc & I'm still getting updates so will wait & see how it plays out. No Ant-virus program as yet. Thanks once again jdc.... for your time & suggestions. Appreciate it !!

Firefox dropped XP support as of version 53. You can try running 52ESR 32-bit.
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo...nizations/all/

What version of CCleaner are you using? I'd try the portable build.
    https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

I tried both DL's of FireFox & CCleaner on the 2 websites to no avail. FireFox etup report says that it requires a processor with SSE2 support & any version of CCleaner is met with Microsoft's " Ccleaner has encountered a problem & needs to close"
    I was able to install Belarc's Advisor for specs on this thing. it reads:
    Board..SiS-741
    Bus Clock ..166 meg.
    2.07 ghz
    512 ram
    it doesn't seem any different to any other winxp systems I built or worked on in the past, except of course Microsoft's dropping support.

BTW, midknyite; thanks for the input. I finally got a browser. I searched back through some stuff & found an older copy of FireFox. vers. 18 & 47 . I tried 47 & it installed ok.
    The question now would be ; how to keep it from upgrading?

Wow, that must be a really old system.

I don't have old copies of FF, but it should be something like Tools > Options > Advanced > Update > Never check for updates

Be aware that FF versions older than 52ESR are missing security patches.

Thanks again, is there anyway to turn off the message that produces " xxx has encountered a problem & needs to close" ?? xxx meaning ccleaner or any program that this would happen when trying to install or open.. Regarding CCleaner, the program installed ok but wont open because of the "encounter" thing

How often are you getting the "xxx has encountered a problem and needs to close" error? If you are getting it even if you do not try to run the affected software, it may be running at startup. You would need to stop that.

If there's a problem, then I don't think you can disable the warning. It's doing that for a reason. Just because the installer was successful, that doesn't guarantee the application will run.

Did you check the CCleaner support? I'm guessing you'd need an older version of that as well.

I tried an older version of CCleaner & got the same result. I'm gonna leave it as is.
    One might wonder why fuss with a pc of this vintage. I find it challenging & one learns from it also not to mention its food for the brain. Anyway its far enough along whereas I can pawn it off to someone else to play with. Time to move on. Thanks Midnyte, for all your help & have a great weekend..................

Thread Information