[RESOLVED] Preventing printer from cleaning

Thread: [RESOLVED] Preventing printer from cleaning

Resolved [RESOLVED] Preventing printer from cleaning

I have a Brother MFC-J485DW about a year. It's my first totally digital printer and I feel out of control. I fixed my old HP 970 many times by myself and kept it well over 12 years.

I print only few times a week but enough to prevent ink drying up. About once a week it wants to clean the cartridges, and I have to pull open the ink cover to stop it. It wastes ink, which is already in short supply (My old printer had a 42 ml black cartridge.) I already asked at a Brother forum, and was told, (not a joke,) that Brother knows what's best for my printer and I shouldn't fool with it.

It must be on some kind of schedule, but I can't find anything in the Advanced Manual.
    Last edited by foxy; February 3rd, 2018 at 05:22 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Perhaps the second option from this site will help:

https://itstillworks.com/cancel-auto...-12127075.html

I don't own a Brother printer and my Epson doesn't have that feature, thank goodness.

Thanks, will try it. It won't last the 12-15 years my old one did. I wonder if removing the date settings would help too, if it's using that to measure time....hmm..

(Your bird photos are beautiful. Do you have feeders?)
    Last edited by foxy; February 3rd, 2018 at 07:11 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While we're here, tell me if you use reman cartridges, and if so, vendor name. The company I used to deal with on Ebay is no longer there, and I've had 2 bad experiences lately.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    (Your bird photos are beautiful. Do you have feeders?) Thank You! Yes, I have feeders in the backyard. Some of my birds are from out in the wild though, the herons, egrets, etc, are wild from local river parks.

I used to use 123inks but I don't know if they are still in business now. I use only Epson cartridges in my inkjet. I buy these from Amazon, and they are cheaper there than from Epson's site.

Hey Foxy

Just saw your post. I too have a Brother (mine is an all in one). I have the same issue as you. I called Brother two years ago and they said there is no way to deactivate the self cleaning cycle. I only used mine once maybe twice a week.

I also found out that if you run out of any color cartridge you can't print black and white only using the black ink cartridge. They said it is because the printer uses other colors to print the "black". Really?! My reply to them was "in kinder we were taught if you want black use black" - but a enough of all the colors will make black".

So the biggest thing was years ago was to buy a printer that had separate color ink cartridges so you did not have to buy a large 3 color one if you ran out of only one color. Brother (probably others) got wise and figured another way to "get us to waste ink" so we have to buy more ink.

Really?!

I ran out of ink 9 months ago and will not buy anymore. Refuse to. Forced myself to go "paperless". Use the scanner more or export to pdf files and store on my hard drive and back up often. Less paper hanging around the house. Anything I absolutely must print - either a friends printer or at work.

I will never buy a Brother printer again. My previous printer (the one before this) was a Brother. It kept saying "Paper Jam" no matter what I did to resolve it. Finally after 4 hours of fighting with it I took it and flung it against the wall. Only disappointing part about that was that it did not end up in enough small pieces.

I was able to repair my old HP 970 with the 42 ml(!) cartridge for years, but the new ones are all digital. My old warhorse died despite my considerable (not a joke) repair skills, and the Brother was on sale, a previous year's model.

Yes, I still have to keep each color operational to get black, but I buy remans (reamufactured cartridges with OEM ink,) from Ebay companies for considerably less than the OEM price. I haven't bought an OEM cartridge in years. If there's a Cartridge World store near you, you can skip the shipping. On Ebay, look for dealers with near-100% positive ratings, and free shipping.

A guide to cartridges: http://www.inksell.com/ipd-cartridge.html?#comp

I found a site demonstrating how to fool the printer into thinking there is still ink, when there still is. I have to search through my Printer folder bookmarks.
    Last edited by foxy; February 19th, 2018 at 09:48 PM.

I gave up on inkjets (all brands) years ago. I only use laser printers. A network capable Brother laser can often be found on sale for $160.

Color or black? Reman laser cartridges (right word?) can be a good buy too. Do you use them?

Laser printer toner cartridges last me a long time (years), since I don't print that much. OEM cartridges can be purchased on sale for reasonable prices, so I stick with those and avoid the potentially questionable third party or remanufactured cartridges.

Maybe my next one. I was on a very tight budget when my trusty old HP died.

Thanks. There's a MicroCenter in my neighborhood.

So, @question2012, what are you using now?

Thread Information