No account can install apps not even administrator

Thread: No account can install apps not even administrator

No account can install apps not even administrator

Hello
    I have a windows 8.1 laptop that I need to fix. the user wants to install Google Chrome and an App for Football team management. neither will install and fails with some sort of error to the effect that access in denied or it can't save or open a temp file. I enabled the hidden administrator account since both local account were shown as standard account in the control panel but elsewhere windows shows that they are admin accounts. anyhow the administrator account is even more useless, you cant launch IE, or most of the programs I have tried.

I went to this page and tried some thing to give the accounts these abilities that it suggested
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-1d8fdc53f91c

none of those Items helped at all and I was not able to run those commands. this version is not a pro or enterprise version of 8. I don't understand why the Administrator account is all locked down more than a user is in older versions of windows, it un compressible to me. how can I obtain access to the computer to install things?

Have you scanned for malware? What antivirus software is installed? You may need a bootable disc or flash drive with antimalware software if you cannot install anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Have you scanned for malware? What antivirus software is installed? You may need a bootable disc or flash drive with antimalware software if you cannot install anything.
    MacAffee 8.8 enterprise is installed, updated and does not find any virus. I did try to install Malwarebytes but of course can not

Did you try setting the one of the accounts as an administrator using the built-in administrator account? By default, the first account created is an administrator, so something messed that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Did you try setting the one of the accounts as an administrator using the built-in administrator account? By default, the first account created is an administrator, so something messed that up.
    the 1st account on the log in screen shows its an admin account, in users/control panel if I try to change the account type it looks like the account is a standard account. I unhid the local admin account and that also had no privileges. agree something is messed up. what malware can I run and boot off a usb drive

Thread Information