Links do not open, just show up & close to original window

Thread: Links do not open, just show up & close to original window

Links do not open, just show up & close to original window

Firefox 58.0 64 bit. Just started doing this. I click on a link in a news story in an email and it shows for a fraction of a second that a new tab is opening, then it disappears and the original screen is still there. I can right click on the link, ask for it to be in a new tab and it will open. This happens even when I have the url as approved for popups. I receive the newspaper online through a link each day in an email. It operates just as I mentioned, very briefly shows a tab, then closes and the email window is there. I can go to my banking or insurance sites using my password program and all links work for me to navigate. Online, not through the email from the newspaper, my newspaper links work to navigate through the paper. Last night I closed Firefox and a few minutes later, when I opened it a message showed that Firefox was installing updates. I don't know if I have given enough info to make sense, but where is the issue here to correct?
    JGB

It appears this happens only in the Gmail site. I have not had anything like I mention occur in any other site. Last night I purchased tickets to a concert through a link in an email, worked correctly. This morning the same link gave me the blink of a tab than closed and I was back to the screen with the link in it. Seems a Gmail issue.
    JGB

What happens if you right-click and select Open in a new window?

What happens if you right-click and select Copy URL? Can you then paste the url into a new Firefox Tab or Window?

FF just release 58.01. Upgrade to that and see if it resolves the issue.
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

Sounds like your issue could be related to this:
    https://www.ghacks.net/2018/01/29/mo...es-on-windows/

I can right click, ask for new tab and it will open, or ask for new window and it will open. I decided to use Chrome to view Gmail and all the links I tried opened as they should. It is something in Firefox, and I tink it must have been in the upgrade last night. The next reply below the one I am replying to makes suggestions and I will look at those when I send this reply
    JGB

Midknyte, I did the upgrade and it did not resolve the issue. I am in Chrome posting now, but I have Firefox minimized. When I restore Firefox I have two tabs showing. In the tab which displays my gmail, I can click on an email and the contents will display. If I click on a link in the email in this tab, Firefox opens the tab as I described, for a very short instant, the screen blinks and I am back looking at the email I opened with the link not opened. Again, right click and ask for new tab or window, it opens what I ask for. Now, I go to the second tab, right beside the gmail closed tab, and here is the Firefox help site. All the links open as I would expect them to. Switch back to the gmail tab, the links do not open. While I have not visited lots of sites checking this out, every site, except for the gmail site, functions as it should. And in Chrome the gmail site works properly. Thanks for your time in looking at this. I have thought about completely uninstalling Firefox, rebooting the computer and reinstalling, but maybe here is an easier fix.
    JGB

Well, I closed Chrome and went to the Firefox gmail and every link is working! Interestingly enough, the first link I tried was a "Can you donate $5 to the _______ Party?" I did
    not intend to contribute, but maybe I should if that fixed the problem! Wouldn't you know a political link would open!!!!!!! Anyway, they work for the time being. Again, many thanks for responses and suggestions.
    JGB

Well, I goofed up!!

I went to the Chrome browser and of course it worked, but the Firefox does not. I was so pleased, but I did have the Chrome and not the Firefox. Please forgive!
    JGB

Did you try deleting the gmail cookies in FF? Or you could do a FF Refresh. Note that you'll need to reinstall any extensions after a Refresh.
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ebsites-stored
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...s-and-settings

Are you running an adblocker or not? I recommend ublock Origin for both FF and Chrome.

You might also want to run a scan with Malwarebytes.

I have MalwareBytes running. I have uBlock running and when I disabled it, the issue went away. Thanks. The puzzling thing is that this only happened when I was looking at Gmail. I could right click and ask for a new tab/window, and it would open whichever I asked for in Gmail, but clicking on the link just did not work. In the tabs/windows I opened with the right click, everything worked properly. Only in the Gmail window would this occur. uBlock gives the option of disabling it for any particular window or tab, so I will disable it fir Gmail. I had checked the popup blocking and that had no effect on tis issue, but uBlock was causing it. Thanks for your assistance
    JGB

I don't have issues with uBlock Origin and Gmail. Are you using uBlock or uBlock Origin? They are two different extensions.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ublock-origin/

Are you using the default filter lists? I disable Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list, but take the defaults otherwise.

I am using uBlock Origin 1.14.24. I do not remember when I began using this, but it was sometime ago, an all of a sudden I am getting these blockings. It did the same thing on Prudential Insurance site yesterday. I clicked to disable it on that site and all was well. The icon at the top right of the screen has a small "11" on it, and the message, when I click on the icon is this: requests blocked on this page 11 or 14% since install 38,943 or 6%. I have not had blockings of screens doing what I have described here at any time. I don't know just how ai expected the blockings to work, but I have not had the incidents I have described here. I am using the default settings, and the Peter Lowe's Ad list was checked when I looked at it just now. It was Last updated 19 days ago (Jan 13, 2018). Maybe that update started all this. Again thanks for your help.
    JGB

Thread Information