[RESOLVED] Desktop Won't Start
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Desktop Won't Start

Resolved [RESOLVED] Desktop Won't Start

HELP!!!

This is a total mystery.

I know my PC is VERY old but it's just the way I want it. It's been working fine for the past two years. No viruses or anything.

I shut it down normally and then came home from work and tried to turn it back on. NOTHING HAPPENS when I hit the power button. It doesn't even attempt to start up.

I took apart the side and front panel to see if the on button was broken, no it's fine.

As is normal when the PC is off a green light comes on in the back. Only when the PC is off. Since the green light is still on it's clearly getting power.

This is an "HP Pro 6000" tower PC. Windows 7 Professional.

HELP! This is very odd. I've hear from coworkers that something may have burned out, but if this were true shouldn't it have burned out when the PC was either on or trying to come on? Right now it's not even trying to start.

Thanks.

That sounds like it might be a power supply failure. Just because you are getting an LED illuminated does not mean that the power supply is producing enough power to run all of the computer hardware. Is that a standard or compact size desktop computer?

That's what I was thinking too.

It's the full size version. I think it's actually called the "Pavilion P6000"

https://community.spiceworks.com/pro...n-p6000-series

That's what I was thinking too. I'm reading other stories about people with similar problems.

My model is actually the "HP Pavilion P6000"

https://community.spiceworks.com/pro...n-p6000-series

Since that is a standard size unit, it should have a standard power supply rather than a compact unit.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product...5/product-info

If you have a spare power supply you could try swapping it for the one currently installed. If not, it is time to either purchase one or take the computer to a reliable shop that has a spare power supply they can try (and/or a power supply tester to test your power supply).

Sorry, I've been trying to respond but my posts haven't been approved by a moderator.

Yes, I suspect it's the power supply. I've been reading of similar cases. But those were due to power outages or power surges.

Is it common for power supplies to just die while the PC is off but still plugged in?

What model of power supply do I need?

Is it common for power supplies to just die while the PC is off but still plugged in?
    It is not necessarily common, but it does happen. There could also have been a power spike that you didn't notice. Do you have the computer plugged into a power strip with surge suppression? If not, you probably should have.

Also, OEM power supplies like those found in inexpensive consumer PCs are often less able to handle spikes and other stress that those in high-end computers. High end power supplies cost high end money.

If you open the case, the power supply should have a sticker on it with the specs. The link below indicates that it probably has a 250 watt unit.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product...ent/c02158336/

How to replace link:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03037947

Potential Newegg replacement:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817171111

I would measure the existing power supply dimensions and check those against any potential replacement unit (and your existing case, in case the replacement is slightly larger) to make sure any replacement you get will fit.

Also, just so you know, we have not determined for sure that the power supply is your problem. It could still be something else, or, the power supply could have fried other components when it failed.

Yes, it may not be the power supply. The back light is still on so it's getting power. It would be big coincidence that the spike happened during the rare hours that the PC was off. Also, it was in a surge protector.

I also ready about an orange switch on the back that can be changed from 230 to 115 I believe. I've heard different things about them.

It it correct that this a voltage adapter for use in other countries, in which case it should NEVER be changed? Or is this something else?

Here's a similar photo.

https://fthmb.tqn.com/yJwIzjze7pgDyq...b7d0e5cdf5.jpg

If your power supply has a mains voltage selector switch, it should set for 115 volts in the USA and should not be changed.

Power supply failures, like incandescent light bulb failures, most often happen when they are being switched on or off.

I'm having a pro come over look at the problem in person this weekend. It could be either the power supply, hard drive or motherboard.

But it looks like I'm in the market for a new PC so I'll be starting new thread and it's time to embrace the horror of WINDOWS 10!!!!

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    But it looks like I'm in the market for a new PC so I'll be starting new thread and it's time to embrace the horror of WINDOWS 10!!!!
    Not necessarily. I just built a new PC and it's running Windows 7.

The plan right now is to try and get the PC working again, or at least save the date from the hard drive.

Regardless I'm still buying a new PC. Sooner or later I'll have to learn Windows 10 and actually take advantage of the new features I can get.

Have a two working PCs at the same time would be the best option so I can learn as needed. If I can't figure out how to do something on Windows 10 I'll just use my Windows 7 PC.

The change has to happen sooner or later so it might as well start now.

Thanks.

Thread Information