[RESOLVED] Win 7 update stuck at 100% then 35% after running disc cleanup

Thread: [RESOLVED] Win 7 update stuck at 100% then 35% after running disc cleanup

Resolved [RESOLVED] Win 7 update stuck at 100% then 35% after running disc cleanup

After running disc cleanup and selecting for the 1st time ever, Cleanup system files then checking off Windows Update Cleanup the PC was stuck shutting down. So I powered it off and on and it got stuck at 100% complete on Configuring Windows updates, Do not turn off your computer. So it sat like this for over 2 hrs while I was out. I powered it off again and it got stuck at 35% with the same message. So I powered it off and on into safe mode, and now it's stuck again at 35% complete.

HD activity light is blinking about 3x's/sec.

How do I get by this loop?

Edit: after 10 min.
    Cleaning up
    Do not turn off your computer

Disc activity light is blinking.
    I'll let it run while I go to bed
    Last edited by COPO; January 20th, 2018 at 12:34 AM.
    My Web Site - 1970 Z28 Camaro
    Retired from 35 yrs IT Hardware Planning Analyst
    Cheers
    Mark

Next day.
    Windows 7 came through. I got up and it's screen was on the safe mode login screen and help Windows Media Player DVD troubleshooter screen. This came up because sometimes when I insert a DVD into my laptop it doesn't open the burnt DVD for about 5 min.

As far as this disc cleanup problem goes, the recovery was successful which I performed above.
    My Web Site - 1970 Z28 Camaro
    Retired from 35 yrs IT Hardware Planning Analyst
    Cheers
    Mark

Hi, Im having the same problem, did u just wait for it to end?

right now im in 35% completed

I'd say if it has been more that 24 hours with no progress, it likely will not finish.

Unfortunately, these days the best practice with Microsoft Updates is to make a full image backup before attempting to install them. If you have Windows 10 Home though, that isn't an option since you never know when they will automatically install.

Thread Information