DESKTOP SHUTS DOWN INSTEAD OF SLEEPING???

Thread: DESKTOP SHUTS DOWN INSTEAD OF SLEEPING???

DESKTOP SHUTS DOWN INSTEAD OF SLEEPING???

My wife has a Lenova C5-30 23" all-in-one desktop computer. The OS is Windows 10. it is 1.1/2 years old. it has been problem free till a couple days ago. The problem is that it will shut down rather than going to sleep. I've tried various sleep settings to no avail. Does anyone have a solution ? Thanks for your time
    Where there's a will, there's a way

Does it still shut down if you turn off all Sleep and Hibernate options, like you wanted to leave it up and running 24/7?

When you start it back up, do you get any errors, like you would if it did not really shut down but just crashed or lost power?

Have you looked in Event Viewer to see if there any events listed that might give a clue as to what is happening?

I've turned off the sleep & hibernate [it had been off previously] also set HD to never. So far, it does not pwr off. There are no error messages after boot. it appears to be a clean shutdown ....

If it was a clean shutdown, the Event Viewer logs should show that and a clean boot up.

I would leave it running for at least 25 hours continuously to make sure it does not shut down by itself. If it doesn't, then you can try changing back to Sleep or Hibernate if you want. Personally, I have never found either of those to be very reliable, but your mileage may vary.

I have my computer set to turn of the monitor(s) after a number of minutes, but they are also set to never turn off hard drives, network adapters, USB devices/ports, or anything else, since I never power them off unless necessary.

Thanks for the reply jdc... I was planning to see if it stays active, like you say & then try changing back one at a time & monitor each change. I leave all our systems on 24/7 ( the ones in use) but I do shut down the hard drives. I sort of figured, it would be my luck that one either wear out, become noisy or seize up. Solid state would pose no worry, but I don't have many of them. bedtime now... Thanks again & I'll post any results....

The pc has not shut down since I made the change. This AM, I changed only the HD from never to I hour. A couple hours later, the pc had not shut down. In this case, I have to assume that the HD actually does stop, however, I don't know if there is a way to check, being that it a all-in-one pc. I would guess that if it ok to leave in this state, it would be ok to forget about any other setting but the monitor ??

If the hard drive does actually shut off AND turn back on when needed, and this does not cause crash or shutdown issues, then you may be OK. I would monitor the behavior for a few days to see what happens. The other power settings should not be an issue as long as you don't have any devices connected that you need to worry about.

Thanks for the reply jdc...... I will leave it as you suggest & play it by ear .........................

Thread Information