GMAIL PROBLEMS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GMAIL PROBLEMS

GMAIL PROBLEMS

Up till recently I've been doing quite well with Chrome being my browser & also for accessing my Gmail . I was able to put two related icons on my desktop [WINDOWS10] & could log into either one of 2 Gmail by clicking one of the icons. Recently, it got to a point whereas I could only access one account no matter which icon I ticked.
    I decided to dump CHROME & go back to Firefox with GOOGLE as a browser. I deleted CHROME via control panel & then tried to reset a desktop icon by dragging the URL from an opened Gmail to the desktop. But by doing that, it still came up as a CHROME icon & would not open. I went into the registry & deleted the name CHROME as much as I could. There were some that would not allow me to delete. Going back to my Firefox/Google browser, I tried again to setup my Gmail. Still getting the CHROME icon.
    The only way I can now access any of my gmail accounts is by manually typing in the address & password each time. For years, it worked great & now I cannot get back on track.. Any help on this matter would sure be appreciated. Thanks much ..............
    Where there's a will, there's a way

GMail desktop shortcuts created using Chrome will be linked to Chrome. You would need to create new ones linked to whichever browser or browsers you want to use GMail with.

Possibly useful links:

https://pinkeyegraphics.co.uk/puttin...rtcut-desktop/

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...+to+a+web+page

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/915694

What is listed on those websites is exactly what I have been trying to do. The short cut is CHROME. I uninstalled CHROME. It is still hanging around like a ghost. How can I get rid of it permanently?? Till this is done, there is no way to create a shortcut from any other browser !

Right-Click on the Desktop shortcut you created from a Firefox link. On the Shortcut tab, copy the text from the Target box and the Start In box and paste those entries here, with the proper labels for each.

Did you set Firefox as your default browser?

It sounds like the .url links are still associated with Chrome. Did you install Firefox after removing Chrome?

To check the file associations, right-click on the Start button, and click Control Panel. Click Default Programs. Click Associate a file type... Scroll down to .url and see which browser it is set to.

Thanks guys for the reply; I'll have to wait another day for this. Got some other irons in the fire at the moment. Yes, I had set FF as the default. Firefox, I believe was before Chrome. Actually Chrome sneaked in via Avast. Avast is one of my anti-virus programs , the free version of which I installed sometime back.. And yes, the .url link is still associated with Chrome
    Is there any other way to clean the registry of Chrome besides regedit. ?? Will work on this monyana. Thanks again.....................

If you have uninstalled Chrome and set your default web browser to Firefox, then Chrome registry remnants should no longer be an issue.

You can manually create an internet link shortcut to GMail by replacing the reference to Chrome with the appropriate reference to Firefox, which is one reason I asked you to post the information from the desktop shortcut that was being created for your GMail link.

Firefox, I believe was before Chrome. Actually Chrome sneaked in via Avast.
    Then Chrome probably took over the .url file association from Firefox. You could try reinstalling Firefox to re-establish the file associations.

And yes, the .url link is still associated with Chrome
    So you confirmed this in Control Panel? If that was the case, you should have changed it to Firefox.

Another day with continued headaches ( I have that link as requested, but don't recall on how to enter it here. I was able to get rid of the Chrome icon, but still cannot log into my gmail by ticking it. I uninstalled & reinstalled Firefox to no avail. This PC , using Windows 7 has no problems with gmail or logging into this forum. The PC with Win10 is the one where these problems are occurring. I cannot even log onto this forum with that PC even tho, I use the same name & PW. When I try to logon, I get this message: : This connection is not secure. Loggins could be compromised"......
    Let me know how to add a file & I'll get it sent . Thanks..

On your Windows 10 computer, what version of Firefox are you using?

You should still be able to log on to VirtualDr, even with the message that "Logins are not secure" - that just means that VirtualDr is not using https.

You don't need to send a file, just copy the text from the Shortcut tab on the shortcut Properties window as described in post #4 and paste into a reply to this thread, with the appropriate labels. We can then tell you what to replace it with to get your shortcut working.

Thanks jdc; using Firefox Quantum 57.0.4 (64bit)
    The first link below is from the win10 pc in question.
    The second link below is from another pc with win10 & it works OK.

(1) https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox

(2) https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox

Regarding those links: both work fine in pc #2 , so thev'e got to be identical, but neither will work in pc 1.....

As you can see, those links are the same. However, that is not what I asked you for. If you have a Desktop Shortcut on one Windows 10 computer that is working, you can create a link on the other Windows 10 computer manually. To do this, you first need to get the information required from the Windows 10 computer where the Desktop Shortcut is working. To do this, perform the following steps:

1. Right-click on the working Desktop Shortcut and select Properties

2. On the Shortcut tab of the Properties window, highlight the text in the Target box (if it is not already highlighted), and press Control-C to copy this text.

3. Open a Notepad window (Start, Accessories, Notepad), and press Control-V to paste the text there, then press "Enter" to move to a new line.

4. Back on the Shortcut tab of the Properties window, highlight the text in the Start In box and press Control-C to copy this, then paste it into your Notepad window. You now have the information needed to create a working Desktop Shortcut on the other Windows 10 computer.

On the Windows 10 computer where you want a shortcut, use the procedure in the link below to create one. After you have created it, you can then check it to make sure that it has the same Target and Start In information as the working shortcut.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ortcut-website

lets see if I got this right: I right click on the shortcut icon, click on properties >the highlighted box (URL same as what I sent you) is what I'm supposed to copy?? if so, nothing happens when I do a control-C . same with both pc's Am I doing something wrong??

When you press Control-C, nothing will appear to happen, however, the highlighted text should be copied to the Windows Clipboard. You can then paste that text into whatever window or field that accepts text that you want to paste it into. You could paste it into a post here, or into Notepad (a Microsoft supplied text editor program).

Thread Information