Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monitor/Graphic card issue? Dell Precision

Dell M90 manuals:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...on-m90/manuals

Screen:

https://www.laptopscreen.com/English...PRECISION~M90/

Sample How-To video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj80suVoTCg

Moving the screen on its hinges to test for a bad connection may or may not work. I would not use that as a definitive indicator of the connection health.

Thank you. I'll see how comfortable i am after watching all that you linked. MAYBE i can save it, maybe not, but i'll give it a shot.

When you previously mentioned resetting the cables, are you referring to the 2 little plugs at the bottom of the monitor? or the wider one that is attached higher behind the monitor?

I have not looked at the disassembly instructions for that model laptop, however, the cable that connects the display with the mainboard is usually not visible when the laptop is fully assembled. Post a picture of what you are looking at and maybe I will be able to tell what connections you are referring to.

I have not opened it yet. I was only referring to the youtube video when he connects/disconnects two small clips at the bottom and one flat one on the top.

I have not watched the video (can't do that at work), but if the connectors are only accessible after removing some covers, they may be the ones. The ribbon for the monitor would have more than 2 or 3 wires or conductors.

I guess, i would be better to "tighten" all of them.

When you mentioned, previously "If you enable that and get one clean and one bad image, then the video adapter is OK and the one display panel has an issue." is it something related to those plugs or something different?

The problem has not happened in a few days now. Murphy's law!

If you unplug and re-plug the connections several times (carefully, as they may be delicate), that is often enough to clean off any corrosion or contamination.

If you have an external monitor connected, and have enabled both that and the built-in display, they should both display the same image simultaneously. If the image on the external display is OK and the image on the built-in display looks bad, then you have determined that the display adapter is OK and the built-in display panel has an issue, since if the display adapter was bad you would have two bad images.

If you have an external monitor connected, and have enabled both that and the built-in display, they should both display the same image simultaneously. If the image on the external display is OK and the image on the built-in display looks bad, then you have determined that the display adapter is OK and the built-in display panel has an issue, since if the display adapter was bad you would have two bad images.
    That is exactly what I am seeing. The external monitor is working fine, while the laptop one is bad. That is how i am typing here.
    I have not had a chance to open it up to "play" with the plugs. Knowing that the built-in display panel has issues, would that be addressed by the plugs or is it something that will just need replacing? And if so, is it worth it?

OK, we now know that your video adapter is working properly, and the issue is either the built-in display panel OR the ribbon cable connection(s) to it. The bad connection could be on one or the other or both ends of the cable. The first thing to try is to check the cable ends for dirt or corrosion and reseat then several times (carefully, as they are probably somewhat delicate). If that does not work, it may be time for a new display panel. I posted a link in post #16 for a source for a replacement panel, and there are other sources as well. Note that you will want to triple check the part number on your existing panel and also the image of the replacement panel online to make sure that you get an exact replacement. If you do need a replacement panel, check the prices to see if you think it is worth what you have to pay. They do not appear to be that expensive.

Thanks, I had to bring my desktop to the shop this morning (power supply gave away) and I told them about the laptop issue. With all your information available, I'll be able to get them to do it, as they even have some monitors in stock so the fix will be faster than if I had to order it (and if something breaks, it is on them!). At least, I know what to tell them, and I can be specific what not to do (they can't tell me that the video card is the culprit as I know better now!).
    Last edited by Cassel; February 1st, 2018 at 12:31 PM.

Thread Information