Why so slow?

Thread: Why so slow?

Why so slow?

Moving a few meg of video was unbelievably slow (attached) so I took a look in USB View, figured out which port was faster and moved the disk to that port. It made no difference, 28K per second!
    I have the latest USB drivers, the disk is in the port that performs faster so what's the problem. (What's the frequency Kenneth?)

Thanks - rev
    Attached Images Attached Images

What is the make/model of the motherboard? What kind of USB ports are you using? Did you try different devices (flash drive, external hard drive)? If so, make/model of those devices might help also.

Are you trying to do multiple copies at the same time? I don't mean selecting a group of files and then copying. I mean if you start copying one file to the drive, and then you do another copy to the same drive. Windows doesn't queue copies well, so you end up slowing both copy operations to a crawl.

Mobo is: Asus P6T with Intel 3.33 chip and 12 RAM. I've never seen the problem before.
    Ports are USB3
    Other drives are Toshiba and WD Elements, pocket drives of about 1TB each.

I was copying a batch of movies all at once, not one at a time and not in both directions at once.

Today, everything was fine. I copied 27 gig at about 24 meg/sec

Hmm. Not sure what to tell you then. Next time, see if it affects a specific drive or all drives.

I don't know what to make of it either but I've learned not to Cancel. It can take forever to cancel and if you push it, it stops responding so I just waited it out.

I've seen extremely slow copies when there are bad sectors, so it might be good to run a diags on your hard drives. WD has their own diags, but I don't think Toshiba does. If anything, you could run Seagate Seatools on the Toshiba.

I just found the problem, most of the memory wasn't recognized. The machine was trying to work with only 4 gig.

I switched out all the memory with some I had lying around and I've either got two bad mem sticks or two bad slots. Switching the good with the bad should tell me which is true.

Thread Information