Upgrading HDD

Thread: Upgrading HDD

Upgrading HDD

Happy New Year one and all,

My first task is to up-grade the hdd on my XP desktop. Currently have three internal hdd, the first one having five partitions, inc, the os, C:

I am recreating the partitions on a new 1tb hdd currently housed in a desktop caddy and all is going well in copying X gb of data across. However, obviously, the current, installed hdd has a C: partition, and the new one has the same (albeit larger) partition, set at the moment as M: I have restored an image of C: to M: but when I get around to installing it in drive bay ), I assume the computer will see it as M: and not boot from M:.

As I cannot create two C: partitions, how do I change M: to C:? Or will that happen automatically because the BIOS will recognise that M: is a boot partition and it is Disk 0?

Toodle pip and thanks

Rex
    What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

I have restored an image of C: to M: but when I get around to installing it in drive bay ), I assume the computer will see it as M: and not boot from M:.
    If you imaged C: to M:, then M: should be detected as C: if you physically replace the C: drive with the M: drive.

That's basically the same situation if a hard drive fails, and then you replace it and restore an image to the new drive.

Great; thanks. I will give it a shot.

I have considered making an image of C: to an empty partition on the new hdd, and if installing does not work, restart with teh rescue disk and copy that image to M;, which should then be detected as C: (if that makes sense.)

Will post back when everything in AOK.

Amazing! New hdd installed and not only does it boot, but the BIOS / OS (?) reset the partition letters on the new hdd to as I want it!

Easy peasy. My only 'comment' on a first boot, having gone from a 500 gb that had a few partitions that were almost full, to a 1 tb with double the C: partition size (from 60 gb to 100 gb on XP) it seemed a bit slow to boot. May be that will improve as the os learns!

Rex

Thread Information