"Failed to read data from the disc" using Acronis

Thread: "Failed to read data from the disc" using Acronis

"Failed to read data from the disc" using Acronis

I use Acronis for backups and today I received the above message on my Dell laptop, same machine I had to reinstall the system on about 6 weeks to 2 months ago. The laptop is less than a year old. I took a screen shot of the whole message and will attempt post it as an attachment. I clicked on the attachment link when I was on the site earlier today and all it did was open up a blank screen, which disappeared when I closed it. If I can not add it as an attachment, this message tells me the sector it can not read and suggests I run the check disk utility to correct the issue and make a backup of the disk. When I clicked on this message to close it, it opened another window with a different sector listed, and then another sector. I closed the whole Acronis window at that point so I do not know how many sectors it may have found.

I downloaded the latest Dell Check Disk utility and it ran all the checks it does and indicated there was no errors to report. What suggestions do you have?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Check the S.M.A.R.T. disk health statistics, then use the drive manufacturer's utility to check the drive. The Ultimate Boot CD has these utilities on it - you can download an .iso file and create one.

Thanks. I will check it out.

The drive is a Seagate and I ran all the diagnostics they provide and there was no indication anything was wrong. When I do a File and Folder backup, I get no messages, but the Disks and Partitions backup gives this message. I clicked on "Ignore" and that brought up another of the messages with the number of the section it could not read went up by 2, ie from 452 to 454. I did this 50 times, and each time the section went up by 2. I got tired of this and clicked on "Ignore all" and the program completed the backup. I have had this laptop since April and it was two months ago that it gave me the message it could not complete the opening of the operating system and I had to completely reinstall Win 10. While the Seagate utilities indicate there is no errors, there was some error 2 months ago. Even now there are times when I must use Task Manager to close a program. I have no idea how many sections may be unreadable for the Acronis program. I guess I could keep clicking on ignore until it found a readable section. Any other suggestions you may have? Thanks for assisting.

With the errors you describe, I am not sure I would trust the drive. You can check the box to Ignore Errors in Acronis, but you don't know which files it cannot backup. Temporary Internet files would not be a loss, but other files might. If it was my computer, I would get a new drive and clone the old one over to the new one. You could try a restore to an external drive from an Acronis backup to see if everything gets restored as a test.

Thread Information