[RESOLVED] Chrome in Win 7 x64

Thread: [RESOLVED] Chrome in Win 7 x64

Resolved [RESOLVED] Chrome in Win 7 x64

I use Chrome with some scripts only on one site that I use for work, so I'm not very familiar with it. Everwhere else I'm strictly Firefox. I updated Chrome this week to v. 63.0.3239.108.

I have to downgrade to an older version to use certain Tampermonkey scripts, and I'm not too worried about security because I use it on only that one safe site. I told Revo to just uninstall the program, not the user data, which I presume is my profile. For safety, I moved what I thought was the profile folder onto my desktop. Then I installed 60.0.3112.90, the only other version I had, and moved the profile back in. The program and profile appear to BOTH be in

C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Google

The program is naked as the day it was born. What happened to my profile files, extensions, etc?
    Last edited by foxy; December 21st, 2017 at 08:56 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Oh, I also have an exterior HD backup from 12/5 with Chrome 63.0.3239.84, but I'm still not sure whch folder is my profile.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Type this into the addressbar:
    chrome://version/

The Profile Path should look something like this:
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\profileName

Moving to Internet Related Issues because this is a browser issue, not an OS issue.

C:\Users\Prize-02\myname\Local\Google\Chrome\UserData

Most of the folders are empty. I think maybe I dropped the profile in the wrong place.
    Can I just copy the profile from my exterior backup and drop it in? But I don't have the installation file for that version.

After 15 years of Firefox, I feel like I'm in a foreign (enemy)country.

You can try it. I don't think you've got anything to lose at this point.

Does UserData contain my extensions too?

Did you log in with your Google account? Extension info is tied to your Google account.

Chrome isn't really like Firefox when it comes to profiles. Firefox profiles are way more portable. It's mentioned here:
    https://portableapps.com/apps/intern...hrome_portable

Issues

Passwords Not Saved Between PCs By Default: Google Chrome stores passwords in such a way that they are encrypted in a way tied to current PC. While the passwords are not kept or left behind on the PC itself, they won't be retrievable when you move to a new PC. We've added password portability as an advanced option, though, which you can enable by reading the help.html file.

Certificates Not Portable: Google Chrome has no certificate manager. It uses Windows' certificates manager. So, any certificates you install through the Google Chrome interface are stored on the current local machine and will not travel with you. Thus, you should not use any private certificates with Google Chrome except on your own PC.

Some Settings Locked Per PC: Google Chrome locks specific settings to a given PC. Details are included in this post. This behavior is by design by the Chrome team. If you would like this changed, please file a bug with the Chrome team. A suggested workaround is to sign in to Google to restore all settings and extensions and to use an extension such as Session Buddy to maintain your session state as you move PCs. Note that PortableApps.com has not evaluated this extension.

Note that other portable browsers such as Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition do not have any of the issues mentioned above. These issues are specific to Chrome due to Chrome's design and not something we can work around without fixes to the base app by the Chrome developers.

I don't have a G account, and wouldn't want it used with Chrome anyway. If anything doesn't transfer from the backup HD, I'll have to reinstall it, reluctantly. I save my passwords in Dashlane, not any of the browsers. I use Chrome only on one site for online work.
    Last edited by foxy; December 22nd, 2017 at 12:34 AM.

If you don't have a Google account, then you'll need to reinstall manually. Unfortunately, that's just how Google wants to play.

I had only a few extensions, reinstalled everything, then today G updated the version to the current without my permission, and I was back where I had been. I can't find anything about update permissions.

Thanks for your help anyway
    Last edited by foxy; December 22nd, 2017 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks, good tutorial.

I don't know if I want to uninstall and reinstall again for 1 script. Depends on my mood
    Last edited by foxy; December 23rd, 2017 at 12:25 AM.

Does anyone know why Chrome installs completely into Users instead of Program Files? It's strange.

Does anyone know why Chrome installs completely into Users instead of Program Files? It's strange.
    Probably due to Microsoft's user account control. You do not have access to much of what is in Program Files, but you do in Users/<username>.

But I have full access to my User profiles in FF, TB, Clipmate, Irfanview, Opera, etc, and they have Program Files too. OK, I get it. I'm looking for logic. Computers are logical, users are not.

If you do Christmas, have a lovely holiday!
    Last edited by foxy; December 24th, 2017 at 04:51 PM.

Thread Information