mp4 will not render

Thread: mp4 will not render

Hybrid View

mp4 will not render

What ho one and all,

I have downloaded a TV series as 8 x mp4 episodes and from the internal hdd, they all play with MPHC.

I want to move them to another computer that we use for 'entertainment' so have copied all to a thumbdrive. But here's the thing; if I test run them from the thumbdrive, they all give a 'File cannot be rendered' message in MPHC. They also don't play in VCL.

However, I also have some other mp4 files on the same thumbdrive and they all play with no issues. They were also copied from the hdd to the thumbdrive.

What's going on?

Toodle pip, thanks and Merry Christmas.

Rex
    What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

What is the make/model of the flash drive? What file system are you using?

What happens when you copy the mp4s from the flash drive to the HD of the entertainment computer?

"What is the make / model?" good point; it is an inexpensive number 512gb from fleaBay. The name printed on it, for what it's worth is WHock! I am intending to use it for keeping an image of the OS. May be that is not such a good idea!

I formatted it at the default settings and at the moment, it has a number of folders for other TV shows, and around four 1gb (ish) films. Everything plays from the thumbdrive and also when I have transferred to the entertainment computer.

I have not tried the 'non-rendering'' files on the entertainment computer yet, as I normally see if they open and play on the download computer, and this particular folder does not; they do play from the original download hdd. I have copied as 'Move' and individual copy/paste and still the same.

Do you at least know if it's a USB2.0 or 3.0 drive? Are you using USB 3.0 ports?

If it plays from the hard drive but not a flash drive, it sounds like the read speed of the flash drive could be too slow.
    Try the speedtest on USBdevview and see what you get.
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

mp4 files aren't all the same. Just because some files play, that doesn't mean all mp4 files will play.

USB 2.0 ports and USB 2.0 flashdrive. Thanks for the program link; quite useful.

I now think there is a glitch with the files themselves, as you say, not all mp4 are the same. Have copied to an alternative flashdrive and the same thing is happening, and I know this fd is pretty good, only because I have never encountered any problem.

Also copied a different TV series to the same folder on the flaky flashdrive, and they all played just fine.

Will find the episodes from a different source and/or just watch it on catch-up somewhere rather than save.

Oy, USB 2.0. If files play on the hard drive, but not on the flash drive, then I'd say it's a speed issue.

Thanks. i understand the words but don't really understand what that implies. I have quite a number of TV shows and films that I have transferred to the other computer via the same thumbdrive via mp4 and never had 'cannot render file' message.

Could there be something embedded in the file itself that requires something that I don't have installed? Have no idea what I am talking about as some of the files do play. I tried getting them from a different web link, and the same thing.

Not worth labouring the issue as we will watch this series via the web rather than from the hdd.

Thanks, toodle pip with tinsel and Happy Christmas

i meant it's possible the USB 2.0 read speeds are too slow. There are too many variables with video files other than that.

Could there be something embedded in the file itself that requires something that I don't have installed?
    Like what? DRM? Assuming these are legit video files, you should go ask the source. If not, then we can't help you.

Thread Information